OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

trail camera recommendation?

Started by trackerbucky, July 08, 2012, 11:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackerbucky

Does anyone have any recommendations for a trail camera?  Mine is malfunctioning and it's time to get a new one.  I'd like to get an IR model with a security case as the area I hunt, while private land, is not terribly secure.

Thanks
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

coyotetrpr

I do not use them, but I have seen real good pictures from the Cuddieback.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

honker22

I use the small Bushell cams and they are good. I plan on purchasing a couple of the "blackout" cameras. In my experience, the infrared spooks them just as much as a flash.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

HennedUp07

I personally own several brands of game camera to include cuddeback, but IMO Wildgame Innovations makes a good camera for the money (IR6 is the model i own). They take a good picture, great battery life, have several different settings are and super EASY to operate....

FANMAN

Quote from: HennedUp07 on July 08, 2012, 11:56:01 PM
I personally own several brands of game camera to include cuddeback, but IMO Wildgame Innovations makes a good camera for the money (IR6 is the model i own). They take a good picture, great battery life, have several different settings are and super EASY to operate....
Quote from: honker22 on July 08, 2012, 11:37:58 PM
I use the small Bushell cams and they are good. I plan on purchasing a couple of the "blackout" cameras. In my experience, the infrared spooks them just as much as a flash.

I love my Wildgame cam,but I would call the battery life good not great,I also own a Bushnell Trophy Cam...Infared.It boasts one year battery life,now thats great....I don't believe it spooks as bad as a flash...But I also would think the blackout model would be awesome...As far as picture quality...slight edge to the Wildgame camera.

Wingbone

I've used the Wildgame and Moultree cameras, and I prefer the Wildgame. They are great for the money invested.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

Ryan T

Used em all from Cuddeback, Moultrie, Bushnell, Scoutguard, to homebrews.

When I have the money I go with Cuddeback, their old cams had terrible battery life 1500 pics, but the new Attack IR, while I'm experiencing occasional "all black" pictures at night, has an AMAZING battery life.  On my mineral sites in the summer time I consistently get 500-600 pics a week and the camera hasn't had the batteries changed in it since mid April.

For a secure camer that takes high quality pictures, go to Archerytalk.com and look in their classifieds, they always have  some homebrews for sale.  A lot of the guys integrate a "pipe thru" design which makes the camera easy to secure to a tree with a python cable lock.  I have two homebrews, both S-600s, and they are the cat's meow.

Basin_hunter

I use WGI white flash cams and I also have 1 Bushnell trophy cam. The battery life is great on the Bushnell trophy cam ! I never changed the batteries the entire season. The WGI cameras are very good for the money. They are pretty hard on batteries though. I use external 6v rechargeable batteries with mine and can get about 3 weeks out of them depending on how much action they get during that time. Check out chasinggame.com for lots of detailed unbiased camera reviews.
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

jblackburn

That's almost likea asking what truck is better!

Chevy, obviously.   :funnyturkey:

Seriously, there are a lot of good cameras out there and there are junkers.  Personally, I have 2 stealth cam IRs (one of which is about 5 years old and still works great).  I am also on my second Primos 35.  The first one worked great for a week, then quit.  I exchanged it and so far so good.  I takes really good day pictures, but I am underwhelmed by the night pics.

chasinggame.com reviews cameras and is a great place to start your search.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

barry

Spypoint. We've had 3 Cuddebacks but switched to Spypoint. Way better prices, image quality and ease of use. Here's a pic

HARDCORE

Check this site out, they test and rate just about every camera on the market.

trackerbucky

Thanks to everyone for the great info.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

DLC coverts

Bushnell Trophy Cams

lightsoutcalls

I bought and used a Moultrie M80 last year with great success.  I bought a Moultrie M80 XD this year and hope to get it in the woods this weekend.

I use the camlockbox for my camera(s) and the python cable locks. 

Both of my cameras have the red LED lights.  I have pics of hogs, 9 bear and up to 4 deer at a time on my cameras.  The pictures show that they recognize that the light comes on, but most of the time they are there a couple of minutes later for another picture, and another...

I have some gel film used for theatrical lighting that I plan to experiment with in regards to knocking the glare of the red LED lights down.  There was a guy on the Chasing Game camera forum that used over 100 layers of window tint to decrease the glow of the red LEDs.  I think I can reduce the glare with just a layer or two of the stuff I have. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

scoot12

In my opinion reconyx is top of the line and the best.  They are pricey but worth every penny.  I padlock mine to the tree but it is like watching a video with its picture taking ability.  For about $175 the little acorn is a great little camera.  Great pics, great battery life and durable.  You can see the reviews of this and other cams on chasingame.com.  For $100 the spypoint g4 has been another great cam.  For around $70 another good one is the wgir4.  I have had mine for two years with no problems.  Good luck Scoot