Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Finished reading "lllumination of the flatwoods" and Have a question

Started by tjh24, March 01, 2011, 04:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjh24

I just finished reading that book and I found it extremely interesting, helpful and just over all a well written book on turkey behavior.  Throughout the book the Joe Hutto (author) stress the curiousity of the birds.  They see pretty much everything and have to check it out, whether it be trash, old cans, shoes whatever. Turkeys are one with thier environment and want to know everything about where they live.  With that being said, here is my question-

I remember reading somewhere (not sure if it was here, a magazine or somewhere else)  about an old southern man who did not use a decoy only something placed in the field where the turkeys came.  (i cant remember for sure what he used, but a green stuffed animal comes to mind)  He would place it in the field and the birds would see and be stand-offish for a while, but thier curiosity finally got the best of them and they would come investigate.  Anyone remember a thread about this or is there any truth to this??

shootumindaface

R AJ

LX_Trkyhntr

I am still reading it, but when I got to the part about how curious they are I thought of the same thread!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Preacher

I read in a book one time that you could get naked and crawl backwards up to any gobbler in the woods .   But that dont work,  ants to bad around here.
Romans 8:37

Hognutz

Quote from: Preacher on March 01, 2011, 05:14:00 PM
I read in a book one time that you could get naked and crawl backwards up to any gobbler in the woods .   But that dont work,  ants to bad around here.
Are you tellin' me that's not how you do it? I can keep my britches on? Geez.. :fud:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

redarrow

I would actually pay to see that.

shad309

hookedspur

NO NO NO NO NO NO
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

guesswho

Quote from: redarrow on March 01, 2011, 06:01:13 PM
How much?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

turkey slayer

Quote from: guesswho on March 01, 2011, 06:53:50 PM
How much?
:popcorn: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

chatterbox

Quote from: guesswho on March 01, 2011, 06:53:50 PM
How much?
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Preacher

Its a sight to behold, worth paying for,   and you might be surprized where and what areas ants target,     :popcorn:

Preacher

Hey tjh24 sorry to highjack your post,  you asked a serious turkey hunting question and started poking fun,  but I really did read that , again sorry about that.

tjh24

Preacher-
No problem, just curious if anyone has any info.