Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

10,000+ acre brush fire yesterday!! (updated to 17,500 acres now)

Started by RutnNStrutn, March 01, 2011, 03:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireengine70

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 01, 2011, 09:37:17 PM
On a sad note, one of our young firefighters got injured today attacking a fire. He got steam burns to the face, and was flown out to the burn unit. He is good kid, and a nice young man. Hopefully he won't have disfiguring scars. Prayers would be welcome. :jesus-cross: :thanks:

Thats horrible news. Prayers sent for a fellow brother.   :jesus-cross:

Dan Mallia

fiveyear

I know you and the others are doing the best but the winds are supposed to be moving today!  Good Luck and prayers to the young guy who was burned!

Hopefully the Turkeys stay out ahead of it as well!  Sorry to be selfish!  I know some of these fires are suspected arson!  I just hope those fools keep their lighters in their pockets.  Not a good year for fires with all the dead brush and dry conditions!   :firefighter: :thanks:

doepee

That is a heck of a fire, and those are awesome pics! Congrats on being a firefighter, be careful out there... hope the injured guy will be alright.. :firefighter: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Tnturkey71

They were talking about sending some of us down to help, Love some 14/21 time. we are going to do some Prescribed burning tomorrow. Hope you all get it contained soon, and get to mop up a few days collecting the H pay.  :you_rock: :z-guntootsmiley:

RutnNStrutn

It grew even bigger today, its now well over 17,000 acres after we had several break outs today. Its still only 2% contained. I was on a brush truck strike team working the fires until after dark. Headed back in tomorrow to be a strike team leader for my 24 hour shift. Then I'm likely to be back on the front lines again on Friday.
But Saturday I'm taking off to get my head shaved for the St. Baldricks Foundation fund raiser to help kids with cancer. If any of you guys haven't donated yet, please open your hearts and wallets, and make a tax deductible donation to help the sick kids.

http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/participantid/414329

Our injured firefighter was released from the hospital today, but still faces a long recovery. Please say a prayer for him, and all the brother and sister firefighters that still face many days on the fire line trying to control this monster of a fire.

saltysenior

wasn't there a massive fire in that area about 10 yrs. ago ???

timbrhuntr

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 01, 2011, 09:37:17 PM
On a sad note, one of our young firefighters got injured today attacking a fire. He got steam burns to the face, and was flown out to the burn unit. He is good kid, and a nice young man. Hopefully he won't have disfiguring scars. Prayers would be welcome. :jesus-cross: :thanks:

Sorry to hear about the brother that got burned. Hope its not too serious. I recieved steam burns about 15 years ago in a house fire and to this day I still feel the heat right away in that area. I don't have any visible damage and hope he doesn't.

I know you don't need to hear this but use good judgement and stay safe. We don't get any major wild fires like that here and I'm sure its a whole different animal. Hope you get some weather that helps you out.

Tnturkey71

They have a big one going on in Texas, Some of the fellows are shipping out on Saturday.

3.5inchpainfulldeath

Wow that's crazy.  That's a pile of turkey woods gone.  very sad.

thank you for all you do as a firefighter...  I'm sure the owners of the homes you protected are forever grateful to you and the rest who fought hard to keep their homes safe.

Prayers going out for the young man hurt...

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: saltysenior on March 03, 2011, 05:47:28 PM
wasn't there a massive fire in that area about 10 yrs. ago ???
Actually it was 13 years ago, 1998. The Firestorms. I was there for that too. Insane fire behavior!!!
The injured firefighter has been released from the hospital and is home recovering with his family.
Had some breakouts today, but most of the fire area saw some good mop up. The NW corner of the fire had some big breakouts though. Tomorrow could be a very busy day.
Here are some of the heroes of the fire.

Helo coming in.

Helo dipping his bucket to fill it up. They were fighting a fire near this lake that was right next to us and were coming in every 4 to 5 minutes filling up. It was a sight to see!!!

saltysenior

time flys,it was 13 years ago.....however after that fire,all agencies agreed that it would never happen again because a intensive controlled burn program would be used thru out the state......i know down here in s.e. fl. a controlled burn happens as often as snowfall.. ???

handcannon

I've been on some pretty good forest fires but never anything that covered that much land. I know you guys had one heck of a workout and definately deserve a big pat on the back. Especially with as minimal property damage as you had. It's tough for the landscape and wildlife that was lost but all that will come back with time. Thanks for sharing.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: saltysenior on March 04, 2011, 08:12:20 AMafter that fire,all agencies agreed that it would never happen again because a intensive controlled burn program would be used thru out the state......i know down here in s.e. fl. a controlled burn happens as often as snowfall.. ???
Amen!!! But while prescribed burning definitely reduces the risk of wildfire, $$$$$ talks brother. After Amendment 1 passed, followed by the real estate market crash, there was no money for it. And now that King Rick the 1st is in office as governor, gov't budgets will be gutted, and wildfires will reign supreme. But, he doesn't care, as long as big business makes millions on the taxpayer dime, King Rick is happy.