Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

10,000+ acre brush fire yesterday!! (updated to 17,500 acres now)

Started by RutnNStrutn, March 01, 2011, 03:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Me :firefighter: & the boys :firefighter: :firefighter: :firefighter: :firefighter: :firefighter: :firefighter: :firefighter: :firefighter: :firefighter: got to experience the danger, hard work, thrill, satisfaction and exhaustion of fighting a HUGE brush fire yesterday. Its only the 4th time in 28 years as a firefighter that I've been in on a fire that big. This one went to  17,500 acres. They don't get that big that often, which is a good thing for the citizens. We only lost one mobile home and a detached garage out of the hundreds of homes we protected. Sometimes there just isn't enough manpower and equipment to protect everything. Good ole tax cuts!!! >:(
The crews are mopping up now, but if the winds shift and pick up, it could blow up again. We'll be ready if it does.
Here's some pics from yesterday & last night.

Headed to the fire.

Headed down a street to protect some homes from a head fire moving in.

My engine company, the Double Deuce, backed into a driveway to protect a house.

Fire blowing up and moving in on houses.

Close air support, like any war, crucial to success.

Heavy firepower from the armor!! :lol:

The boys waiting on the fire to get to them.

Me doing some reconnoitering ahead of the fire.

Fire as far as the eye could see.

Flames way up in the air.

Grim aftermath. Burnt up woods. But fortunately the homes were safe!!

C_W

Awesome Pictures! Hopefully no one was hurt!

CW 

Gobble!

OldHen

when the heck do you have TIME TO Think TO TAKE A PICTURE  when all that hectic stuff is going on!! I cant remember to take a photo of my kid blowing out his b day candles during the party.... so I dont know how you did it! LOL

RutnNStrutn

:lol:  I'm a Lieutenant, so I can take pics when my driver is getting us there. Plus, you have to get waaaaaaay out in front of a fire like that because it is moving so fast. That gives you a few moments here and there to take cool pics. :lol:

mason0366

PANYHunter

Wow!!  Nice pics.  Glad to hear damage was minimal.  It's good to have firefighters around that's for sure.

turkey slayer

Great pics, glad yall were able to contain it

VA_Birdhunter

Thank God everyone made it out ok!  Thanks for sharing!

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

knightrider

nice pics glad you could save some homes

timbrhuntr

Guess you need more than an indian tank and a few brooms for that one ;)

swamp_bird89

Nice pictures.....I could see the smoke plumes out fishing on the lake yesterday evening.

redarrow

Thank you,and your fellow Fire Fighters. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

mossy835

Nice captures and some that are never seen by most. Glad you were able to save the homes as that would loss would have been tragic.

Basser69