OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Close up

Started by TrophyTracker, June 29, 2012, 12:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on July 05, 2012, 07:15:12 PM
Quote from: ccleroy on July 05, 2012, 06:52:15 PM
Quote from: 870BkWht on July 05, 2012, 06:39:34 PM
What is the speed ball itself for and what is it made from?

Looks to be cork.

They call it "elastomer" which is just a fancy word for a hard rubber ball.   ::)

Rubberball, elastomer, whatever you call it, What is it supposed to do or help?

mightyjoeyoung

Bout the SAME THING as a felt wad...reduce pressures and cusion the shot load.  Apparently they figure they can charge more with a super ball in the wad?   :bike2:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on July 05, 2012, 07:17:01 PM
They're tearing the load...and the pro-staffers a new hinie hole over on nodakoutdoors right now!  Same for a few other hunting chat sites too.  So much hype...so little fact.
Hunting chat sites are notorious for being clogged with overly critical shotshell reviews and opinions - there is some factual stuff out there you just have to weed through it 

A quick glance at the subject content  over yonder, I see where another "end of the world" debate has arisen , ah yes ! tempers flare another Chevy vs. ford showdown takes place -Looks like the usual " Lets all dig our heels in now , and take it personal " thing has happened  .....Its July now and anyone participating in these quarrels is far from doing any actual hunting so what better way  to pass the time then argue openly - How dare a ammo company try and make and sell ammunition , how dare them ! seems to be the ever popular theme -

The predictable tall marketing claims by anyone making ammo leaves me feeling like the cynical inspector from the movie Casablanca when he utters " I'm shocked , shocked I tell you " 

link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

It the ultimate sense of things it the consumer browsing the endcap in the sporting goods store  runs the show -

March cant come any sooner
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

mightyjoeyoung

Yeah there's a few members over there and on other sites that just seem to want to bash just for the sake of bashing!  I like to think that from working the industry from a sales/retail buying perspective for almost 10 years I havea good base on what to look for and what questions to ask.  Like I said over there and here...the density of the shot is what I have questions about.  For the money, and let's face it, 750 bucks a case (250 rounds) is rediclulous for a shell that very likely has pellets in it no more dense than lead, if not LESS dense.  And as we all know, it's the PELLET that does the killing...and in the case of SB, maybe the rubber ball too but seriously, if the performance upgrade, save for maybe 85 fps isn't there, I NEED to know where the serious price increase is comming from.  I am not one of the gulible masses that see a new product and just HAVE to buy it.  I like to think I'm smarter than that and if my questions will help clear things up, then I'm going to ask them, and ask them and keep asking them until I get answers be it the latest and greatest ammo, choke, gun, whatever. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Old Gobbler

That stuff looks nice , but the price will scare off most folks

I have always said make a product that sells itself , and it will do all the talking for you - as in the product speaks for itself - advertisements and such I have learned to ignore 

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon