turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

cheap over and under

Started by coyotetrpr, June 24, 2012, 09:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotetrpr

I am asking for advice on wich over and under to get. Mossberg silver reserve,CZ Usa, Stevens512, Baikal310,or any other that you may know of in this price range. I fully understand that one will not get a high end O/U shotgun for this kind of money. I am looking for the best O/U gun in that 600 dollar range. Thank you all for your help.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

captin_hook

I think the ones you have listed are all about the same quality. Handle each one and see which feels best for you .

magnumgray

gunsamerica had someone from buckeye with a tristar  for $420  plus shipping .....New in Box

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Skeeterbait

My son has a Stoeger Condor that shoots surprisingly well.

mohall64

Baikal!!   I have three of these and had no problems with any of them.   Not pretty but built like Russian tanks.
He will only be bigger next season!!!!

natman

The truth about cheap doubles:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=253741

Of the ones mentioned, the CZ is probably the best, but that's only relative to the others. If the budget won't stretch far enough for a Franchi I'd recommend buying a good pump and using it until you've saved up enough.

Cheap O/Us are roughly made, rarely shoot both barrels to the same place and have a much higher percentage of problem guns.

savduck

Lanber 2087 or a Yildez or CZ.
Georgia Boy

Borden811

Another vote for the Yildiz if you can find them. I believe they are only sold at Academy sports stores in Texas, but I could be wrong.

Old Gobbler

I  have seen two Fausti  o/u's set up for turkey hunting  , and they were very nice -one was set up with extended turkey chokes - light and powerful  - nice thing about a double is that is a much more compact gun than a repeating gun with a similar barrel length

One thing for consideration is the POI on those if you have a chance to test one out before purchasing make sure both the barrels shoot the same POI not one high 4 inches and the other 8 inches to the left kinda thing -

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Fausti-Traditions-12ga.cfm?gun_id=100256142

I think the market for a high performance over and under for less than $700 is there - A company needs to get something that points good - with a synthetic receiver like a Super Nova , with 2 good low profile barrels with a common choke system and sell a million of them
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

R AJ

Don't overlook a double barrel SXS as a turkey gun. You won't find "Purty" or Purdy at this price but you can find some double triggers that won't be double firing on you and one heck of a sight picture when that strutter comes walking toward you. Look around. Yes they can have POI/POA issues also.
I got a cheap Baikal/USSG SXS in 20 gauge last year and it is a dandy pickup gun and a pleasure to tote in the woods.