OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Waterfowers take a look

Started by TrophyTracker, June 21, 2012, 12:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrophyTracker

Hey gang,

In another thread, a month or two ago I posted up a thread showing a new load that will be out in stores starting in July called SPEED BALL by Hevi-Shot. I'll post this info again from EM so everyone can check it out, and know a little about it when the time comes to compare gear for the season ahead. It contains the updated box design that will be found in stores

Here is a cut-away of the shell.  It has three major innovations:

1.  Speed Ball? ? an elastomeric ball in the base of the wad that accelerates pellets without boosting chamber pressures (patent pending).

2.  MV? pellet that sits in the base of the shell ? copper-clad, steel-core pellets that are Heavier Than Steel? but with a soft, dense outer copper layer fuzed to the steel, metallurgically.  This gives us about 22 times the copper thickness of copper-plated lead or steel; you just can't get this kind of copper thickness without the proprietary technology we're using.  The copper raises the density of the pellet.  Patent pending.  Copper plating puts a copper coating on the pellet that is roughly 1/6 of the thickness of a sheet of paper.

3.  HEVI-Shot layer on top.  6 existing patents.

So we use the layer technology of HEVI-Metal, the density of Heavier Than Lead? and Heavier Than Steel?, and the new Speed Ball? technology to get really fast speeds safely.

The benefits to the hunter:

Higher pellet counts in the 30-inch circle than you get with HEVI-Shot.

Nearly matches the lethal energy of HEVI-Shot, pellet size for pellet size, out to 60 yards (but far exceeds the energy of anything else).

Cheaper than HEVI-Shot, more than $1/shell cheaper.

Product                                               Pellet               Speed (fps)      Pellets in 30" Circle                 Energy (ft-lbs)

At 40 yards

12-ga., 3", 1.25 oz                   BB                               1635                  90                                                      886

12-ga., 3:, 1.25 oz                     1                                1635                120                                                      808

12-ga., 3:, 1.25 oz                     3                                1635                167                                                      722

12-ga., 3:, 1.25 oz                     5                                1635                245                                                      630

The product will also come in 12-ga., 3.5", 1.5 oz, 1650 fps rounds in BB, 1, 3, and 5.

The approx price will be $21 for the 3in load, and $25 for the 3.5
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

Sherrell

Thanks for posting...just put a couple of cases of Hevi-Metal in the gun safe.A case of this wouldn't hurt either.

derek

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

TrophyTracker

New to you, not the game
Beatdown City Fl

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Spring Creek Calls

I look forward to seeing it on the store shelf. Bet those #5's would be potent medicine up close!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Rio Fan

That looks like some good stuff.  But I think I'll stick with my Remington Sportmans Hi-Speed loads and save LOTS of money. 

TrophyTracker

I'm looking forward to the #5's myself. Part of the fun in duck hunting is pushing yourself to the max, and having multiple chances at pulling the trigger. New loads and such add to the fun for me. Good luck to you this season.

New to you, not the game
Beatdown City Fl

TrophyTracker

Quote from: gatrkyhntr70 on June 21, 2012, 05:13:54 PM
spam post..

Negative.

Spammers don't usually come back and chat with the other members. There is no link directing anyone to a site to buy cheap Nike's from Asia.

This is an informative post to show members a brand new option that they can look forward to in the upcoming months, when they will be patterning guns and getting ready for the Waterfowl seasons ahead. I don't care what they end up buying, as it's their choice. Times are tough out there, and people will shoot the best that they can afford, or what works best in their guns. I respect that.  I just had the chance to show them a new choice that they may or may not have even known about.

I hope to see the return of the Waterfowl Thread on here, so we can all keep in touch, and share success pics, sunrises, and good times, as well as stories over the course of the season ahead.
New to you, not the game
Beatdown City Fl

TrophyTracker

Let me clarify the portion made bold:

Not everyone decoys ducks, so to say that "The whole idea" to do so, is a bit much. Some people like to "Jump Shoot" in swamps, while roaming around the area and calling. Some people like to paddle around in a kayak or sneak boat, looking for birds. That is a physical activity, and the more you do it, the more you are "pushing yourself to the max". That means your body, not exactly your gun, or maximum range.

If the daily limit is say, six ducks, and you kill one duck with each of six shots over the course of a morning or evening, that would be considered shooting multiple times. That does not mean that someone has to jump up and unload their gun as fast as possible. Multiple Chances in this case means that you have the opportunity to fire your gun one to three times when birds are within range. It's up to the shooter to decide what is within reason as to how many shots they take.

New to you, not the game
Beatdown City Fl

gatrkyhntr70

Your pimping/advertising the product; same as spaming.
Quote from: TrophyTracker on June 21, 2012, 10:34:33 PM
Quote from: gatrkyhntr70 on June 21, 2012, 05:13:54 PM
spam post..

Negative.

Spammers don't usually come back and chat with the other members. There is no link directing anyone to a site to buy cheap Nike's from Asia.

This is an informative post to show members a brand new option that they can look forward to in the upcoming months, when they will be patterning guns and getting ready for the Waterfowl seasons ahead. I don't care what they end up buying, as it's their choice. Times are tough out there, and people will shoot the best that they can afford, or what works best in their guns. I respect that.  I just had the chance to show them a new choice that they may or may not have even known about.

I hope to see the return of the Waterfowl Thread on here, so we can all keep in touch, and share success pics, sunrises, and good times, as well as stories over the course of the season ahead.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

TrophyTracker

Going by the post directly after my original, and the post directly after your original on the topic, it is clear that some members actually appreciate the information provided.

Information is the reason many people come to forums, be it on tips, ideas, to look at pics of successful hunts, or to get the scoop on what's new on the scene, among others. This would fall into sharing the latest info on a product that some people would be interested in. The header wasn't mislabled. It was directed towards waterfowlers. There used to be a thread dedicated specifically to Waterfowling here, and that is where it would have gone, so that only those interested would have the option of taking a look.   
New to you, not the game
Beatdown City Fl

HogBiologist

I dont know, it just seems like this product is giving the same impression as the "75 yard shot" the mag blend add gave.  Also at 2.50 a shell, no way could I afford to shoot them.  Only way i could shoot them would be to let the ducks land in a decoy spread, then pop them on the water.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

TrophyTracker

I guess it's kinda like turkey hunting then...... there is calling them into the gun.... then there is spot/stalk, then there is bushwhacking them......

Whatever floats your boat bud.....
[/quote]

Or, as a prime example of different shades of the same color; There is sitting in a pop up ground blind, while calling gobblers in, sitting under a tree with no blind, While calling them in, using a full strut decoy and a couple of hen dekes(while calling them in), or using No decoys and making him come look for you, still... by calling him in. 

The choices are infinate, but as long as it's done within what the law allows, it is indeed legit. There will always be those out there who thinks their way is the most sporting, best,etc. That's a matter of opinion on each persons part, and I respect everybody's just the same.
New to you, not the game
Beatdown City Fl

Wingbone

Quote from: Bad Grizzly on June 21, 2012, 10:47:38 PM
Quote from: TrophyTracker on June 21, 2012, 10:23:12 PM
I'm looking forward to the #5's myself. Part of the fun in duck hunting is pushing yourself to the max, and having multiple chances at pulling the trigger. New loads and such add to the fun for me. Good luck to you this season.

What it is, is giving more yahoos a "license" to the Sky Busters Club.......   There are enough A$$ hats out there now that need to learn self control or brush up on their duck hunting skills. Nothing pisses me off more than to have a group of mallards swing out and begin to circle back, and someone in another blind raises up and fires off all 3 rounds in a hail-mary volley at birds entirely too far out of range.... which ruins it for others hoping to decoy them within range.

The whole idea is to decoy them in close and then shoot them as they pass within ethical range. Longer shots equate to more cripples and lost birds. You can bet those "lost" birds are not counted as part of many hunters' daily take either!!

You do your part and get them ducks in close..... those cheaper steel shot shells work just fine!!

I'm with Bad Grizzly on this issue, but probably because we grew up hunting one of the most notorious waterfowl destinations in Tennessee. This area produces some the highest harvests each winter in the whole southeast, but it also pulls every pro staffer wannabe to the area each winter. These are the folks that usually hunt in places where ducks aren't plentiful, so they may kill 10 ducks a year there and be heroes. Then they bring their hero pride to an area where the locals are accustomed to killing maybe 1000 ducks per year. That leaves a big gap in the "learning curve," since being the best in your respective area may not have given you the "experience" you thought you had to compete against the locals. What that gap in experience levels typically leads to is a tremendous amount of sky busting by the non-locals. I've seen it for the past 25 years here. The super shells with false advertising can and does lead them to try to miss ducks even farther than they already do.

On a positive note, i've hunted areas where ducks aren't plentiful and the locals are proud if they get one passing shot in a morning. These shells may be ideal for those guys.
In Hoc Signo Vinces