turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal Blended Load

Started by pdaugherty, June 11, 2012, 12:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gut_Pile

From the counting I did zoomed in on the picture there looks to be 220-250 in the 10" at 25 yards
Proud Member of The Tenth Legion Since 2004

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I just wish they would stray from that damn flight control wad.

They'd have the most premier line of shells on the market....

Rockhound

Speak for yalls selves i love the fcw

vaturkey

Quote from: Rockhound on June 11, 2012, 10:02:54 PM

I'm with ya on this one Rockhound ! What the heck is wrong with the FCW's ? They STOMP turkeys ! 

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: vaturkey on June 11, 2012, 10:22:48 PM

I'm with ya on this one Rockhound ! What the heck is wrong with the FCW's ? They STOMP turkeys ! 

Have you ever actually examined the flight control wad post-shot?

It's the most rigid, non-flexible piece of plastic I've ever seen used as a component.  The fact that it makes it through some of these chokes without blowing up barrels is amazing.

I spent some time and money trying to get them to shoot out of one of my 12 ga's and my buddy and I chased numbers with them out of his 20 ga.  I bet he had over $250 in chokes laying on the table futilely trying to get over 120" in the 10 at 40.  It was the epitome of ridiculous.

To hell with that.

Old Gobbler

Looks like he was using like #6's or larger by the pellet holes some looked bigger - they mentioned usage of the FCW , love it or leave it you have to use a robust shot cup or there will be some serious barrel/choke scoring with shot material like that -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

vt35mag

Quote from: TauntoHawk on June 11, 2012, 07:00:18 PM
Agreed!!!
Maybe they should make the shells they have shoot better before worrying about marketing another $5 a shell blend

Id rather see the HW 7's in a non flight control and offered in 3-2-7 and 3.5-2.25-7 loads

This is just about the only way I would even entertain the idea of shooting Federals again.

goblr77

Quote from: Spuriosity on June 11, 2012, 08:51:30 PM
Quote from: slickyboyboo on June 11, 2012, 12:31:30 PM
If they go with a 5x6x7 load, they will be shooting themselves in the foot, because in the HW, there is no need in a #5 or #6 as the #7s are packing plenty of punch at only 1100 fps. Now if they go with a 7x8 blend, then that would be awesome, and would probably be very much welcomed!
x2 If Fed blends 7s with 7.5s or 8s, they will have a better product than they have now. But if they add any pellets larger than 7, the product will be less effective than they have now. The 7s have killing energy to unspeakable (at least on this forum) distances. Adding larger shot will do nothing except decrease the number of pellets, and thus pattern density of an already marginal pellet count. I'm betting on the addition of larger pellets. Oh well...we shall see.

I'm with you on that one.

gobbler74

I have a nasty setup with those in one 12..it took about 6 chokes to get that way though. Just my opinion.. if they would make them a little easier to shoot in several chokes with a different wad it would be a stronger competitor. That flight control doesnt work as well in as many chokes whereas EM, Nitro and the handloaded shooters guys Dont have to look as far. Something else to consider.. that flight control typically throws a nice even pattern. It might not be a super high count in a certain diameter circle but the trend of softball sized patterns seems to cause some of the dislike to those shells. Its a great shell..has plenty of stomp on both ends for sure. I hope they are able to get another good shell on the market. Competition is good for keeping prices in check  
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Rockhound

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 11, 2012, 11:02:40 PM

It's the most rigid, non-flexible piece of plastic I've ever seen used as a component.  The fact that it makes it through some of these chokes without blowing up barrels is amazing.

I spent some time and money trying to get them to shoot out of one of my 12 ga's and my buddy and I chased numbers with them out of his 20 ga.  I bet he had over $250 in chokes laying on the table futilely trying to get over 120" in the 10 at 40.  It was the epitome of ridiculous.

To hell with that.

just because you cant do it doesnt mean no one else can, in my mossy 835 with the 2oz #5 lead loads, i can do 140+  in a 10 at 40 consistently. in my 10 ga. i can do 120+ the same way but in my 10 ga. with the fed. HW #7s i put up 235.  I hope they stick with them.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Rockhound on June 12, 2012, 12:29:18 PM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 11, 2012, 11:02:40 PM
Quote from: Rockhound on June 11, 2012, 10:02:54 PMSpeak for yalls selves i love the fcw

vaturkey   :newmascot:

It's the most rigid, non-flexible piece of plastic I've ever seen used as a component.  The fact that it makes it through some of these chokes without blowing up barrels is amazing.

I spent some time and money trying to get them to shoot out of one of my 12 ga's and my buddy and I chased numbers with them out of his 20 ga.  I bet he had over $250 in chokes laying on the table futilely trying to get over 120" in the 10 at 40.  It was the epitome of ridiculous.

To hell with that.

just because you cant do it doesnt mean no one else can, in my mossy 835 with the 2oz #5 lead loads, i can do 140+  in a 10 at 40 consistently. in my 10 ga. i can do 120+ the same way but in my 10 ga. with the fed. HW #7s i put up 235.  I hope they stick with them.

You're right, my experience and results alone are insignificant. However, when you combine my results with others, and you see an overwhelming absence of discussion about the performance achieved with these 12 ga fcw loads, there is a reason for it.

It's because a large majority of guys can't get it to perform which is a testament to its lack of versatility.

Lastly, FYI, most of the guys getting what this board would find to be impressive patterns with those loads are attaining then with the big bore guns: I.e. Mossberg 835s/935s, Browning gold/ silvers/bps.

superblackeagle

Yeah I have done a lot of patterning with the fc wad in a 20 gauge. I get great patterns at 40 yards, but the pattern is just way to tight inside 20 yards. The wad will go through the plywood and the pattern is not much wider than the wad. I have a more open pattern with regular wads at close ranges and just as tight of a pattern at 40 yards so there is no reason for me to shoot the federals. Now if they offered it in a traditional wad I believe they would have a much larger following.

Old Gobbler

The Wad in the Federals seems to be a necessary evil , we are not talking steel shot here , this stuff is harder than the barrel , tungsten is known for being the ingredient in  knife sharpeners - Launch that down a barrel at 1300 fps with a ordinary wad and you may perform some "groovy" work on your choke or barrel -

the wad can be made to perform excellent , its just not going to be as easy as usual

The average forum board member here doesn't exactly represent the average consumer of shogun shells , and that is where the companies aim their products for - average guys , making a compulsive purchase on the endcap of a isle in a sporting goods store 1 week before opening week
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Gut_Pile

Quote from: Old Gobbler on June 12, 2012, 09:13:49 PMThe Wad in the Federals seems to be a necessary evil , we are not talking steel shot here , this stuff is harder than the barrel , tungsten is known for being the ingredient in  knife sharpeners - Launch that down a barrel at 1300 fps with a ordinary wad and you may perform some "groovy" work on your choke or barrel -

the wad can be made to perform excellent , its just not going to be as easy as usual

The average forum board member here doesn't exactly represent the average consumer of shogun shells , and that is where the companies aim their products for - average guys , making a compulsive purchase on the endcap of a isle in a sporting goods store 1 week before opening week

If this was true then wouldn't 18g/cc TSS be tearing up barrels left and right?

Gut_Pile

Quote from: JohnDoe on June 12, 2012, 09:33:34 PM
Gut Pile
Not really. We are loading them one at a time and hand measure each component. We place a mylar wrap inside each wad to protect the barrel.

Did not know that. Thanks for the info