Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many States are #4, 5, or 6? ( Got a response from the state!)

Started by albrubacker, June 10, 2012, 07:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albrubacker

In the State of Delaware we are only allowed to use 4, 5, or 6 shot in turkey loads. How many other States are like this? If your State is like this do you use hand loads or shelf.  
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

NorfolkHunter

In the Province of Ontario we can only use the same. 4, 5, & 6's. I archery hunt so I don't self load my own shells.

WildTigerTrout

Pennsylvania law states fine shot no larger than #4 lead,#2 steel or #4 non-toxic.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

dirt road ninja

LA & MS nothing larger than 2's, anything smaller is legal. All my guns are currently using 7's. Hevi 13 & Nitro's.

redarrow

lightsoutcalls

I'm not trying to stir poo or anything, but why would you need larger shot?  The only shells I have used are Nitro 4x5x7 and Hevy Shot straight 6's.  Both will kill a turkey dead as a doornail with a well placed shot.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

chcltlabz

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on June 11, 2012, 02:23:55 PM
I'm not trying to stir poo or anything, but why would you need larger shot?  The only shells I have used are Nitro 4x5x7 and Hevy Shot straight 6's.  Both will kill a turkey dead as a doornail with a well placed shot.

I think the point of his post is your Nitro 4x5x7s would not be legal in DE.  Only a single shot size is legal, and they have to be #4s, #5s or #6s.  Even straight 7's would not be legal.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

lightsoutcalls

Wow.  I'm sure they would have some scientific study to back such a policy...  Be interesting to hear their justification...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Wingbone

Given that we had some regs like that here in TN until the past few years, I believe most of the shot size regs were put in place back before HTL came on the market. I've heard some old timers say that the Bios thought using only 4,5,6's would yield fewer wounded birds and keep everyone shooting at the head. He said lots a people back in the day shot 00 buck etc. at turkeys cuz they could body shoot them at long distances. On the flip side, there were guys that went to the woods hunting with lead #8s and wounded birds all over the place. I think that most state's policies should be re-examined on legal shot size for turkeys, given the drastic improvements in shot densities and chokes.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

albrubacker

We are allowed to use blend of different shot... as long as they only contain 4, 5, or 6. Delaware has a mandatory turkey hunting ed class. I took it last yr there they explained the reason for the shot sizes were 4 shot won't penetrate a human skull and no smaller then 6 shot to prevent wounding birds.   :z-dizzy:
:bike2:
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

guesswho

Quote from: albrubacker on June 11, 2012, 04:43:40 PM
Delaware has a mandatory turkey hunting ed class. I took it last yr there they explained the reason for the shot sizes were 4 shot won't penetrate a human skull and no smaller then 6 shot to prevent wounding birds.   :z-dizzy:
Must be some hard headed folks in Delaware.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

derek

I talked to one of the guys that administers the turkey class in DE about this as I prefer to shoot straight 7s myself, he said it'll likely get changed in the next few years to allow smaller shot. 

Maryland was 4, 5, 6s until a couple years ago when they made the change. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

albrubacker

Quote from: guesswho on June 11, 2012, 05:21:44 PM
Quote from: albrubacker on June 11, 2012, 04:43:40 PM
Delaware has a mandatory turkey hunting ed class. I took it last yr there they explained the reason for the shot sizes were 4 shot won't penetrate a human skull and no smaller then 6 shot to prevent wounding birds.   :z-dizzy:
Must be some hard headed folks in Delaware.
You have no idea!  :cowboy:

—Charlie Elliott

jblackburn

In Oklahoma we can only use shot that is BB and smaller!  80 yard Dead Coyote, anyone?  :turkey2:  :funnyturkey:

I shoot #6s, don't kill the messenger!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

albrubacker

Well I emailed DNREC about who to talk about getting a ball rolling to have the law reviewed. Here was their response per an email ;   We are heading down that road. Next season, it will be legal to use duplex or triplex load with 7 or 7 ½ shot as long as the shell also has some 4,5,or 6 shot. We will continue to re-evaluate our regulations with input from the hunting public.

:happy0064:     Gotta try those Mag Blends         :happy0064:

—Charlie Elliott