OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey sling??

Started by marshboy, June 02, 2012, 07:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshboy

I don't mind grabbing ahold of a gobbler's feet and throwing him over my shoulder, but for some reason the walk back to the truck gets longer with each step...lol.
Can anyone recommend a good quality sling to tote a turkey out with?
Greg

coyotetrpr

Not really a direct answer to your question, but I put them in the game bag of my vest and it makes the walk out much more plesant.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

CallDr

I agree a Turkey tote helps a a lot. I always carry some sandwich bags and rubber bands to cover the head. That way I don't get blood down my vest,back and legs back to the truck. I have one but can't remember who made it. I think some guys make some custom ones?

For some reason when you put a big gobbler in the Vest pouch the weight is pulling hard. Someone needs to figure out how to distribute that weight better.  

20 lbs is about the right for me  ;) I have killed 2 that topped 23. Felt like 30 by the time I got to the truck with a couple rest stops  :P

www.wildtalker.com

Skeeterbait

I have a couple of bloodproof orange tote bags with shoulder straps I use and they have proven to be the best.  Bought them from a booth at a turkey expo in Birmingham years ago and haven't seen them sold anywhere since.  They are about 30 inches wide with a large snapped flap cover.  The thin nylon material folds up and fits in a vest pocket.

A tote string to put around the legs works pretty good though and easy to make.  Cut you a handle as wide as your palm out of some sturdy, round material, Deer antler makes a really cool one.  Bore a hole through the middle and affix a loop of strong string or leather through the hole about a foot  long.  tale a hitch in the string and put around his feet and up past the spurs.  The bag and rubber band for the head is a good idea.

I have also seen people use something like a rifle sling with a loop on each end.  Put one loop over the feet and the other around the neck below the head and sling him under your arm.

TRKYHTR

There is just something about throwing him over your shoulder and carrying him out. I don't mind the bloody butt or pant leg. I don't plan on being in any modeling sessions any time soon.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

guesswho

I've used the sling style for about 40 years.   I don't remember seeing anyone use anything back then, but my Dad showed me an easier way to carry them out and thats what I've used ever since.  I know a young boy that makes them out of parachute cord now.  He sells single color totes for $15 and dual colored (green & black) for $20 shipped. 

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

marshboy

I don't mind the blood either, but it gets damn heavy sometimes toting one out a long way.

marshboy

Ronnie,
Could you maybe send me a pm with his contact info?
Thanks,
Greg

guesswho

BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

bird

A guy has got to have a turkey tote.  Once you use one you won't go hunting without one.  First thing I always check to make sure I have before I head out is my turkey tote.

TRKYHTR

Ronnie you look like the creature from the black lagoon. Am I dating myself? Thats some mossy looking camo.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

guesswho

Quote from: TRKYHTR on June 03, 2012, 01:27:17 PM
Ronnie you look like the creature from the black lagoon.
Thats the look I was hoping for. :laugh:
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

birdhunter

Check out The Turkey Sling'r at turkeyslingr.com

Hands free way to carry a bird out. It's simple and affordable. Pretty much a one-time purchase.

econo

I use this:  Its cheap and works well. I only give a couple bucks for mine at Smokey mountain knife works a few years ago.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281078681475?lpid=82
May God bless you all

Moore

they aren't hard to make I made a few that turn out pretty good
[