OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Harvesting hens

Started by AndyH, June 01, 2012, 06:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooksfan

Timb,

Thanks for going through the trouble to get more up to date information.  Reinforces the argument I was making in references to HC's claim that the top states did not allow the killing of hens.
Mebbe if all those states that don't shoot hens would start, then they could make the top 10 list as well.  :goofball:

troutfisher13111

Because a manageable number of birds killed means fewer birds to die to other causes.  There is only so much food and habitat available and it will only support so many animals. Hunters will kill so many birds and then mother nature will take care of the rest. What percentage of the total number that is removed from the population by hunters is up to us. Is it an exact science, no. But wild turkey are one of the biggest wild game comeback stories in history, so we must be doing something right.

Here is more food for thought. I will do more research as to where, but there is a state or two that is doing away with deer seasons and bag limits. You can shoot as many as you want and when you want. What they are finding is that it's having NO affect on the deer population. Not that I think turkey could withstand that.

The only way someone can compare it to a bank account is if you had to have a set amount in your account at the end of a giving month. And if whatever was over was removed, and whatever under was added. Then it's a fair comparison.

guesswho

Quote from: troutfisher13111 on June 03, 2012, 08:08:48 PM
Because a manageable number of birds killed means fewer birds to die to other causes.  There is only so much food and habitat available and it will only support so many animals. Hunters will kill so many birds and then mother nature will take care of the rest.
True!  If said area is at it's maximum carrying capacity.   Any surplus animals will die to predation or starvation.  If an area is below the carrying capacity then there may be an issue.

When State agencies started their restocking programs how come they protected the females of the species longer than the males?
Quote from: troutfisher13111 on June 03, 2012, 08:08:48 PM
Here is more food for thought. I will do more research as to where, but there is a state or two that is doing away with deer seasons and bag limits. You can shoot as many as you want and when you want. What they are finding is that it's having NO affect on the deer population. Not that I think turkey could withstand that.
They probably have the same folks that are counting the turkey's counting the deer.  No season or bag limits, and not effecting the population? :-\  I'd be interested in reading more about that.  I know the few occasions that I do sit in the woods during deer season now vs. 15 years ago there is no comparison in deer sightings.    I thought it was directly related to the increase of doe days from about ten a year to roughly a hundred plus.   Maybe it's where I'm not as stealthy as I once was.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Neill_Prater

Ronnie, I'm not certain how they do it in other states, but here in MO, all turkeys, under penalty of law, must fill out their annual census forms.  ;) Neill

guesswho

Quote from: Neill_Prater on June 03, 2012, 08:31:40 PM
Ronnie, I'm not certain how they do it in other states, but here in MO, all turkeys, under penalty of law, must fill out their annual census forms.  ;) Neill
What month?  That will effect how your numbers will look to the public. ;D
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

guesswho

Ok, some of y'alls opinions intrigue me.   Not saying their right or wrong, I really don't know.   But I have another question.   

Yesterday while on my property in Alabama doing some work I saw a hen with seven poults.  Also on the way home I saw another hen with at least two poults.   Now if those two hens would have been killed last fall, would I have still seen 11 turkey's yesterday?  Or would there be 11 more thats not here now be here to take their place? 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Hooksfan

Quote from: guesswho on June 03, 2012, 08:48:25 PM
Ok, some of y'alls opinions intrigue me.   Not saying their right or wrong, I really don't know.   But I have another question.   

Yesterday while on my property in Alabama doing some work I saw a hen with seven poults.  Also on the way home I saw another hen with at least two poults.   Now if those two hens would have been killed last fall, would I have still seen 11 turkey's yesterday?  Or would there be 11 more thats not here now be here to take their place? 

Friday morning I took a drive and saw seven hens in three different places.  7 hens and 0 poults.  Guess someone should have shot those seven worthless hens :angel9:

From what I have read, and average poult to hen ratio ranges from 1:1 to 2:1.  I take that to mean that for every hen that has 8 poults, there are at least four hens that had zero, and that would be considered a really good reproductive year.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: guesswho on June 03, 2012, 08:48:25 PM

Ronnie, you're making too much sense.  This is America, you just can't get logical with people anymore.  It screws up their chi and they can't process it!

Shotgun

As far as Im concerned hens are sacred and shouldnt be touched.

TRKYHTR

These 2 guys are going to have a hard time servicing all these hens. I bet they'll have fun trying though.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

troutfisher13111

I definitely believe you need a lot more hens than toms to have a healthy population. My argument is that you can kill a few hens without affecting the population. It has been stated that people just don't fall hunt like they do in the spring. I have a hard time believing that the DEC doesn't know this and take it into consideration.

I have enjoyed this debate as well. Always like hearing and learning new things.

mudhen

Ya know what makes turkey hunting soooo great?

Is that we can have an intelligent discussion, 50+- guys posting, no bashing, good sportsmanship, some facts posted, some pics posted, etc.

THIS IS WHY I TURKEY HUNT  ;D

I deer hunt, duck hunt, and some of those guys just don't get it.....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

lonnie sneed jr.

I have killed a few hens when I was young and not many people turkey hunted back then. I will not shoot one at all anymore. I think anytime you kill a hen you hurt your turkey pop. and hurt it bad. I think there are to many things against the wild turkey now days with out us as hunters killing hens. I just think as a turkey hunter that likes to hunt for Spring and Fall gobblers that killing hens will hurt us in the long run and hurt the pop. of the wild turkey. I truly believe that killing hens along with all the other ways they get killed is hurting the wild turkey in the areas I hunt. The areas I hunt the turkeys are down (way down) and I think the only way for them to build back up is to let the hens walk.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

Ded Goblr

I'm with Mud Hen on this one.  Leave the hens alone, just takes a bad winter, or a poor hatch to greatly reduce the number of birds we have. Lots of other hunting in the fall any way.  Wyoming Fish and Wildlife desimated their Antelope herd in the mid 90"s by over selling doe tags, followed by several harsh winters. It still hasn't fully recovered.. Just my pov..

guesswho

Quote from: mudhen on June 04, 2012, 12:58:44 PM
Ya know what makes turkey hunting soooo great?

Is that we can have an intelligent discussion, 50+- guys posting, no bashing, good sportsmanship, some facts posted, some pics posted, etc.
Now I will make up a bunch of crap to support my opinions and theories if need be.  Might even be able to photo shop a picture or two to prove I know what I'm talking about. :laugh:
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff