OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 13 question

Started by zeke632, June 01, 2012, 06:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeke632

Is Hevi shot normally round or are the pellets in an individual shell various shapes? My son cut a shell (Hevi 13,  3" 12ga. 2oz  #6)  open to find tear drop, round, pellets fused together etc.
Is that normal? 

chipper

Its normal, Nothing to worry about, they will still shoot great.

DC101

That is normal for Hevi Shot and does not have any effect on patterns/performance.

You will be happy with his choice in shells.

captin_hook

Yep, its normal. Let em rip, you'll be happy with their performance.

zeke632

Okay.
Thanks guys.
We have been using them for a couple of years and very pleased with them.
I had never cut a shell open before, as expensive as they are and as well as they do, I didnt see any reason to open one up.

mudhen

Yep, snowmen, no two pellets alike, about 7-8 different size shot, all normal!

I think they use the floor sweepings after clean up  ;D

No matter, it works  :)

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

FullChoke

It is normal if you have no QC.

Envirometal actually tried to justify the wonky shapes of their shot by launching a marketing campaign a few years ago stating that their irregular shapes helped the shot fly straighter and with more stability, you know, just like a football thrown with a spiral or the awesomeness of a rocket ship. No kidding.

Hogwash is the cleanest word that comes to mind.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

gobbler74

If we could just get it hexahedron shaped our patterning disputes would be over.... :TooFunny:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

hunter177

It's normal for those shells. I absolutely love them! :icon_thumright:
TriStar Viper G2 12 ga.
26" barrel, black synthetic stock
TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke
Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot

decoykrvr

Interestingly, on turkeys which I have X-Rayed and done necropsies, there is a preponderance of the non-spherical and figure 8 shaped fused pellets retained within the head and neck.  I assume this is related to the tissue resistance against the odd shaped non-spherical pellets.  Once a pellet passes through the turkey, the remaining energy within the pellet is essentially lost, relative to killing the bird.  However, when a non-spherical or fused pellet enters the bird it dumps a larger amount of the energy giving it greater lethality.

bigdale

I agree with the above. I think it would have to punch harder