turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Toughest freshwater fish in USA?

Started by jakebird, June 01, 2012, 01:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

King Salmon. I know they go to the ocean but when I catch them they are in fresh water. It's like hookinh on to a Mack truck.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

gobbler74

Im throwing out Muskie on fight per lb. As far as living in terrible condition probably a carp
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

tomstopper

Smallmouths on ultra light tackle, no doubt about it,

jarbo03

Quote from: Timberland Taxidermy on June 02, 2012, 10:05:41 AM
I've caught nearly every fish mentioned here and for me the toughest wasn't listed. I would have to vote for the wiper. (Hybrid striped bass) Even using heavy line they will just about de-spool you if you hook a good one.
Of all the fish I catch, the wiper would also get my vote.

longbeard11

Quote from: gobbler74 on June 02, 2012, 01:00:06 PM
Im throwing out Muskie on fight per lb. As far as living in terrible condition probably a carp
have you ever fished for or caught a 20-40 pound musky? Lol

gobbler74

Quote from: longbeard11 on June 04, 2012, 08:26:00 AM

My biggest Muskie was 36 lbs. Ive only caught a few and among the river fish here anyway that was a serious battle.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

lonnie sneed jr.

Alot I have never got to fish for. The ones I have  hooked and got in, for me are 1 Musky  2 Stripper  3 Mud Cat  4 Blue Gill  5 Small Mouth  6 Large Mouth 7 Carp. All from the New River 

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

vaturkey

Quote from: 2ounce6s on June 04, 2012, 11:59:33 AM
IMO, A large river born brown trout is a tough critter to catch. It takes them about two seconds to figure out they are hooked and then the playbook comes out. If there's a way to foul the line they will find it, if there's current to use against you they'll use it. I know there's bigger tougher fish out there but for me a big brown is the cagiest and toughest to hook, catch and land.

Theron

That's a beauty !  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

Ded Goblr

Grew up in Colo. caught many huge rainbows and browns. Lived on the Columbia river in Wa. for 10 years caught many steelies, kings, cohos, walleye, huge smallies. But pound for pound WIPERS! are the hardest fighting freshwater fish I've ever caught.  

gobbler74

Quote from: lonnie sneed jr. on June 04, 2012, 01:46:31 PM
Alot I have never got to fish for. The ones I have  hooked and got in, for me are 1 Musky  2 Stripper  3 Mud Cat  4 Blue Gill  5 Small Mouth  6 Large Mouth 7 Carp. All from the New River 

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

New River? You are close then, good fishing I hear.  Most of my River fishing is on the cowpasture River in Bath Co.

barry

I'm gonna say Bluegill but one that brings back a lot of childhood memories is the Hornyhead!

decoykrvr

I've caught almost every fish mentioned so far, but for pure, never give-up, tackle busting, wear-your-butt-out fighting, you can't beat an ALLIGATOR GAR !!!!!!

Jay

Quote from: longbeard11 on June 04, 2012, 08:26:00 AM
Now that you mention one that size.

HARDCORE

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on June 01, 2012, 01:27:44 PM
the bluegill wins pound for pound.   

Quote from: stone road turkey calls on June 02, 2012, 07:41:43 AM
if they grew to 10 pounds they would pull you in and eat you.

Quote from: catdaddy on June 02, 2012, 07:47:11 AM
If they were as big as a bass--you never would reel um in.

Quote from: slickyboyboo on June 04, 2012, 12:21:07 PM
I have to agree 100%

I agree as well.

HC

Clif Owen

I uess the hardest pulling fish I have tangled with was a 23 lb. grass carp that I foul hookes at the dorsal fin...that was an epic battle! Caught a bunch of bowfin, choupique or whatever you call them. They pull pretty good too.