OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

using a ca finish

Started by cleanslate, May 29, 2012, 08:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleanslate

I started using a ca finish on a lot of my stuff last summer when I started turning pens. This past weekend I was working on a call made out of padauk and the finish turned out terrible. Everywhere where there is an open part of the grain there is a white spot like the finish didn't soak into the wood or something. On open grained woods should I be using a sanding sealer or something else before I apply the ca glue to avoid this happening in the future? As always any input is greatly appreciated.

woodwzrd

On open grained material I usually do a sanding dust CA slurry grain fill. The way I do it is to sand through 320. Then as I sand with 400 i don't blow the dust off and leave the sand paper loaded up with dust. Next I apply the CA directly to the call or pen as the lathe is spinningand I am sanding. This will create a slurry that you can work across the material until it starts to dry. Last I hit it with a shot of accelerator and start back with 240 sanding through the CA coating and up to 600. The grain will stay filled and you will get a super smooth finish.

cleanslate

Alright, thanks. I'll have to give that a try this weekend.