OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Post season; still in turkey mode???

Started by DeWayne Knight, May 27, 2012, 02:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeWayne Knight

How many folks clean up their gear and put it away and move on to something else after turkey season is over?  I'm still in turkey hunting mode a week after the season is over.  I've been doing a little road scouting and actually found a new place where I saw a group of turkeys, including a hoss of a gobbler feeding in a field.  My next mission will be to get permission on the property.  I also ordered "Mouth Call Magic" by Scott Ellis to work on improving my mouth call skills.  I've got plans to polish the barrel on my turkey gun, and I'm going to get some more ammo and do some patterning of HTL loads.  Anyone else still in turkey mode?

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Although I was ready to stop hunting ( last trip was to western NY earlier this week) I'll spend time trying to secure more access for my brother and I both in state and out of state.  Additionally, I'll start planning next spring's itinerary within the next couple weeks.

My browning silver is currently at Williams having the stripped receiver taps replaced and I'll reattach the scope and mounting hardware when it's returned to me.... I'll put another polish on that barrel and may experiment with some nitro 6x7 h13 instead of the 4x5x7 h13 I'm currently shooting.

My original Remington 870 magnum hasn't seen any action since 2000 and I'm going to put a homemade camo finish on it with spongepainting in the next 2 or 3 weeks.  I think I'm going to have the barrel cut down to 26", throw a rhino .660 in it and get some h13 7s loaded up.

It'll be time for trailcams and chasing big deer soon enough but the sultans of spring are never far from the mind..

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

PALongspur

I'm a turkey hunter, period. I'm in turkey hunting mode all year. Don't get me wrong, I love hunting waterfowl and I'm a passionate deer hunter but nothing compares to hunting gobblers for me.

captin_hook

Well i do put all my turkey gear away, but I'm always in turkey mode. Now I'm thinking about my fall turkey hot spots. Although fall season is a long way off, I can't help to think about it. But for the meantime, its shooting trap on Wednesdays, and reloading for smacking some groundhogs.

gobbler336

i don't know that i ever get out of turkey mode, its just in your blood.  to pass the time though i do alot of crappie fishing and call trading/buying and practicing with what i do have.  got two in the mail yesterday.  my season usually starts in mid march and i just finished up this past wed.  been a great one and i hate to see it end. 

Spring_Woods

Nope. It's golf season now. With the heat setting in, I can't think about the birds anymore.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

gobbler74

Quote from: PALongspur on May 27, 2012, 04:16:47 PM
I'm a turkey hunter, period. I'm in turkey hunting mode all year. Don't get me wrong, I love hunting waterfowl and I'm a passionate deer hunter but nothing compares to hunting gobblers for me.
:z-winnersmiley:

Turkey mode all year, from huntin to making calls, guns, planning next season even into 2014 now. Some call it plumb eat up. Oh well could be doing worse things.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

lunghit

Right now I have 2 different chokes and 3 boxes of different shells to pattern sometime next week. I shot my first two birds ever this season and I am hooked. So yes I am still in Turkey mode.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

mikejd

Its a never ending cycle. Im probably more in turkey mode right after the season then before.Time to buy some calls. Even bought a gun this week. With the help of someone on here. It never ends.

AndyH

Still have the gun and vest in the truck, having two custom box calls made, still looking for a ol school 1187 to complete my ol school collection. Still trying to decide where to go next spring for my Osceola. Next weekend going to do some driving around trying to get permission for some new places for next year. I didn't get to hunt much this spring with two sick kids and a job that was on a deadline, so I'm still ready to smash a few gobblers!

duxrus

I never really get out of "turkey mode"....I always laugh at myself during the rest of the year when I stop to listen everytime I hear a crow or owl for some reason....haha

TRKYHTR

I'm always in turkey mode. I have the luxury of being able to raise turkeys and so I'm hearing turkey sounds all year long. You should hear my baby turkey sounds. They are awesome.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck