News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Another pic of white turkey in New Mexico

Started by Turkeyman11, May 26, 2012, 06:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiLL B

Ryan T

One of the most beautiful smoke phased turkeys I've seen...

beagler

Never Misses

decoykrvr

That bird's color phase is properly called "erythrism" from the Greek eruthros, red.  It's really unusual to see such even color distribution and markings on a bird exhibiting erythrism. Birds which exhibit the "smoke gray" color abberation are actually examples of incomplete albinism and according to Lovett E. Williams, Jr., it is the most common off-color plumage of wild turkeys.  The rarest of the color abberations exhibited by wild turkeys is melanism (blackness).  I had the good fortune to kill a 2 year-old melanistic bird about 9 years ago.  In conversations w/ Mr. Williams he indicated that he had only heard of a few true melanistic wild turkeys.  All of the feathers on the bird were extremely dark or black and even the light areas on the tail and wings were masked to the extent that the barring was not discernible.  I've seen one other extremely dark gobbler in the area where I killed the turkey and last year saw a "smoke gray" hen and jake on the same farm.  I've watched several "red phase and gray phase" turkeys over the years and have never noted any unusual flock interaction which could be attributed to their color variation.

slamman

very nice bird.  we've shot a couple of those here in Arizona

Fatbeard

East TN Beard Buster

tomstopper

turkey slayer

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Dustinbishop

mgm1955

Just saw this pic for the first time. That is a beautiful bird. Congrats on a fine trophy!!!

RutnNStrutn

Both of those are beautiful gobblers!! What trophies!! :icon_thumright:
Fatbeard, is there any coloring on the feathers at all, besides white? He looks like an albino. Were his eyes pink? Does anyone know if an albino gobbler has a red, white and blue head, and a black beard?

zelmo1

:alien: Green with envy. Those are gorgeous  birds. Congrats to both of you. Al Baker

GSLAM95

Congratulations on a beautiful rare Red!  In all the years of turkey hunting I seen my first Red last year and tried like crazy to gain access to the farm he was on.  If he is still there again this year I will ask again as that is a rare trophy indeed!

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

opster246

I shot a Canada goose once with very similar coloristics - I believe it is a leucitic Canada goose.  Way cool looking turkey!!