turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Alabama Cackler, how do you run one?

Started by Rapscallion Vermilion, May 26, 2012, 04:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapscallion Vermilion

I just received one of Billy White's Alabama Cacklers.  It is unlike any call I have ever used.  Any one have one?  How do you hold it, run it?  Favorite calls on it?

Thanks!

CallDr

I assume it has the rubber bands? The 2 piece call vibrates as you run it. If that is the one then all you do is run the striker straight down the slate to get your yelps and clucks.... It is great for clucks and purrs. I think the only thing that did not help was it is a large friction call. I know several people who wacked a LOT of turkeys with them ( even me...lol )I got one of the first ones a long time ago and used it in contests to cluck and purr. But I only used the Lid on my legs and lightly chalked the slate .

www.wildtalker.com

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: CallDr on May 27, 2012, 11:05:01 AM
I assume it has the rubber bands? The 2 piece call vibrates as you run it. If that is the one then all you do is run the striker straight down the slate to get your yelps and clucks.... It is great for clucks and purrs.

Thanks.  Yes, it is wood, with a slate strip, and has the rubber bands.  The striker is unusual.  The tip is cylindrical, and squared off, flat on the end.  Based on the sound, it seems like it needs to be canted, like on a typical pot call, so that the squared off rim is what makes contact.  I've been assuming that I only should be gripping the base and not the lid for louder calls.

CallDr

It definattly plays and sounds different. Might be a good idea to try different strikers. Lay it in your hands or your lap when sitting down and see what  sounds you get or like. Finding your sweet spot and how "long" you stroke the slate too.

Like I said. One thing it shines at is Clucks and Purrs. Give it time. You will figure it out.

www.wildtalker.com