OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Urine Based Scent Attractants On The Hit List ?????

Started by redarrow, February 28, 2011, 05:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redarrow

Just read an article in Michigan Outdoor News.  WWW.outdoornews.com/michigan. The story deals with the use of urine based attractants in Vermont. The "Sky is falling " types are afraid that some unscrupulous deer breeders will knowingly use the urine from CWD infected deer in their scent products. Since these scents are distributed all across the U.S.A. it could cause a CWD outbreak that would be unstoppable.

wisconsinteacher

Really?  Use your time to do something productive people.

Gobble!

M,Yingling

If thats realy the case  i see nothing wrong with it  :icon_thumright:
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

FttFttVroom!

harvester

timbrhuntr

They banned the use of all natural products like doe-in-estrous or buck urine or even tarsal glands just before the deer season in Ontario last year. You can only use synthetic products now  ???  .

AS POSTED BY THE ONTARIO MINISTRY OF NATURAL RESOURCES

Attention Hunters: New Rules to Protect Ontario from Chronic Wasting Disease
If you hunt in Ontario, natural attractants containing body parts of any memberof the deer family may no longer be possessed or used for the purposes of hunting
If you hunt outside of Ontario and want to possess and/or bring in carcasses or parts of members of the deer family (i.e. deer, American elk, moose and caribou) from out of province, you need to know about the new regulations. These changes are now in effect.
Natural attractants containing body parts of any member of the deer family may no longer be possessed or used for the purposes of hunting
Possession and use of products that contain body parts of any member of the deer family, including blood, urine, gland oils, and other fluids, for the purposes of hunting, is no longer permitted. Hunters will still be allowed to possess and use artificial or plant-based products that can attract wildlife or be used as a cover scent, but they must not contain any body parts of a member of the deer family.
Possession of out-of-province harvested carcasses and their high-risk parts of moose and caribou banned
The possession in Ontario of high-risk parts of moose and caribou killed in other jurisdictions is no longer permitted. Possessing high-risk parts from all other members of the deer family killed out-of-province was banned in 2005.
Generally, it is now illegal to possess any part of the antlers, head, brain, eyes, tonsils, hide, hooves, lymph nodes, spleen, mammary glands, entrails, internal organs or spinal column of any member of the deer family that has been killed outside Ontario. For details about this regulation and limited exceptions to this prohibition, see www.ontario.ca/cwd
New requirement for transporting live white-tailed deer, American elk, moose and woodland caribou into Ontario
A person transporting live white-tailed deer, elk, moose, woodland caribou, and their hybrids into Ontario now requires a permit under the Fish & Wildlife Conservation Act. This applies to transporting these species for any purpose, including deer and elk farming and zoos.
Why the new rules?
These new regulations are in place to protect Ontario's deer, moose, elk and caribou from chronic wasting disease, a fatal disease that affects members of the deer family. The disease has never been found in wild deer, moose, elk or caribou in Ontario, but it has been detected in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and 18 American States.
Find out more at ontario.ca/cwd

hookedspur

Boy o boy I get tired of people trying to save me from something I dont need saven from !!!!!!!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Fox Fire

I've always wundered just how much of the urine is actuall genuine to begin with, as much of thats on the shelves & used I dont see how even a large herd of deer can produce that amount.

can they keep a doe in heat somehow?  a doe stays in for how long, a few months max ?

Just a thought .

shootumindaface

Quote from: Fox Fire on March 01, 2011, 10:44:28 AM
I've always wundered just how much of the urine is actuall genuine to begin with, as much of thats on the shelves & used I dont see how even a large herd of deer can produce that amount.

can they keep a doe in heat somehow?  a doe stays in for how long, a few months max ?

Just a thought .
They have a captive herd and use the same stuff that farmers use to bring a cow in heat..

Muskie03

I guess i might have to catch my own deer to get some pee. Cowboy up fellas!  :smiley-char092:
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

Fox Fire

A buck deers paradise, I mite otta try and find some for my wife...just a thought.

shootumindaface

When I used care about killing deer I had better luck with Synthetic scents anyways

ghillie

I don't hunt deer so don't be offended by this but...why is urine or estrus not considered baiting?? I'm not trying to start anything but have always wondered why it isn't...just curious...please don't kill the messenger or uninformed...thanks

tjh24

Ghillie-  The whole baiting area becomes a gray area, if you want to get into that, why are food plots not considered baiting? Its just bait thats pre-meditated by about six months.  As far as the urine goes,  most of the deer urine you find in stores is not pure urine, it has all kind of additives to keep it "fresh".  I have gotten some urine from a farmer that has deer and collects the urine. It smell nothing like what you get in the stores, also, it is only good for a week max, after that it just turns to something like ammonia.  As far as why its not considered bait,  I dont know, but It could be if you wanted to get down to it.