Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dyed pot calls - What color would you buy?

Started by lightsoutcalls, May 21, 2012, 10:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Over the years I have had some folks make comments about certain woods being too brightly colored with the concern of birds "spooking" at the sight of the call.  Others have said that if a bird is in close enough to see your pot call, it's time to shoot, not to call. 

With that thought in mind, I have dyed a few calls over the past couple of years.  I have dyed some black, some green (deep, bright green) and some olive green.  Some like the dyed wood look, some don't.  Soooo, here's the question in 3 parts:

Would you buy a dyed pot call?

If so, what color would you be interested in?

What wood would you most likely consider?

I am considering a limited edition run of dyed calls for next year and haven't settled on the wood type yet.  I am thinking either curly maple or birdseye maple or possibly pecan.  All accept dye readily.  The dye seems to really highlight highly figured woods.  Pecan takes a dye nicely, but generally has little figure. 

Thanks in advance for your input.
Wendell
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

DeWayne Knight

A curly or Bird's Eye maple call in a darker, non-bright green would be awesome...

Deputy 14

I would like more natural colors.  Greens, browns, etc.

lightsoutcalls

I have done a few in hot pink and have one in process in dark purple...   ;D  Little girls -gotta love 'em.  :)  I'll have to post a picture of the purple call when finished.  The daddy who ordered this one had me make a hot pink call for his other daughter a couple of years ago. 

I'll have to make up one of the curly maple calls in dark olive and post it here. I made a pecan slate in the dark olive and sold it on ebay.  I think the color is just about right.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Dan Smith

Wendell,

Considering we shot two nice Toms the first time we took out your Aluminum/Yellowheart pot call with the Dymondwood striker last week, I wouldn't care if you made them in hunter orange! The Tom's were going crazy for your calls.  I'll email you the pictures once I get them from my buddies camera.

Please keep me on your mailing list (subliminal message) and make a ltd edition Copper call so I can add one to my arsenal. 

Thanks again for the great calls and great service.

Dan Smith
Overland Park, KS

stinkpickle

bird

Personally I think dyed calls no matter what color are butt ugly.

barry

I saw one somewhere done in blue that looked great!
Green is a definite!

VanHelden Game Calls

I vote birdseye in a lt brown/tan.  The dye seems to pop the figure and the earthtones still give it a "wood" look.

dirt road ninja

I'd have to see one first in any color. I like the natural look, but if a dyed on caught my eye I'd scoop it up no matter the color.

Longbeardfever4ever

Glen Marrer makes the Green Meanie call that is sweeettt! Curly maple dyed green. Sweet stuff.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Houndstooth Game Calls

I would rather not dye the wood I like the different woods for what they are.. Plus I never wear gloves when hunting so it would be senseless for me to have a dyed call because I was worried bout them seeing it! Haha

Gobblerstopper

I've had a lot of luck dying the curly maple. Green is popular along with a deep maroon color that I worked up. If its going to be a limited addition, I wouldn't use an off the shelf color. I would mix one up to make it more unique.

pappy

Would love to see you make one in deep red and black like a box elder burl wood, we are setting up to dye and stabilize this summer, if I come up with a great piece I will send it your way my friend, pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

smurf

Quote from: DeWayne Knight on May 21, 2012, 10:42:56 AM
A curly or Bird's Eye maple call in a darker, non-bright green would be awesome...
I made one like this a couple of years ago and had several people want them.  It lookls awsome in birdseye maple too.  That said yea, I like dyed calls, especially the green, and the lighter woods like maple take dye well and allow you to control the depth of the color .
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.