OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Eastern Diamondback to Endangered Species List

Started by CASH, May 20, 2012, 10:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

guesswho

I know a place in Central Florida where they can get all they want for relocation.  Hmmm, maybe I should form the NEDF and provide some boxes.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

savduck

If I walk up on one it's gonna be an endangered specie for sure.
Georgia Boy

fountain2

Im prolly gonna kill every one I see...killed this one a few weeks ago circling on some birds...I stepped about 6 inches from him coiled up under a bush.  He never moved
..he had apparently just ate something ...2 big lumps in him.

5' and got $2/foot for him!

Grunt-N-Gobble

Bad idea IMO........

The whole use of the Endangered Species "List" is abused.  There are more snakes around than people realize.

A guy I know was on a quad ride just a few weeks ago here in PA.  They went up to a look-out point on foot and had a run-in with about 6 different eastern DB's.  And this was in one spot.

If individual states want to protect them, that's one thing.  But for the Feds to do it across the country, he!! no.

Skeeterbait

Wow, this is a tough call.  I hate to think of us loosing such a species, but dang I don't ever want to run into another one.  These are FREEKIN big snakes.  The timbers we have are nothing in comparison.  Nor are water moccasins even though they have relatively worse aggressive nature.  We are just on the north edge of the range in south Alabama.  I have only ever encountered one long time ago but by all rights he should have had me.  They are the only snake I fear a snake boot won't stop.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Quote from: slickyboyboo on May 21, 2012, 12:55:21 PM
Quote from: Grunt-N-Gobble on May 21, 2012, 12:36:18 PM
Bad idea IMO........

The whole use of the Endangered Species "List" is abused.  There are more snakes around than people realize.

A guy I know was on a quad ride just a few weeks ago here in PA.  They went up to a look-out point on foot and had a run-in with about 6 different eastern DB's.  And this was in one spot.

If individual states want to protect them, that's one thing.  But for the Feds to do it across the country, he!! no.

Wrong answer, your friend didn't run into any Eastern Diamondbacks in PA, because their range doesn't extend that far north. He may have run into a Timber Rattler, but not an Eastern Diamondback. The Timber Rattler thrives in a completely different habitat.

Well then school me............What is the range of the Eastern DB and are there really that few of them in said range?

Eric Gregg

Quote from: Skeeterbait on May 21, 2012, 01:41:35 PM
Wow, this is a tough call.  I hate to think of us loosing such a species, but dang I don't ever want to run into another one.  These are FREEKIN big snakes.  The timbers we have are nothing in comparison.  Nor are water moccasins even though they have relatively worse aggressive nature.  We are just on the north edge of the range in south Alabama.  I have only ever encountered one long time ago but by all rights he should have had me.  They are the only snake I fear a snake boot won't stop.

I was just thinking after reading this post, i wonder who determines if our boots are actually snake proof? I wonder who would try them on and test 'em out.
Kinda like the shark suit, someone has to give it a try to make sure it would work :funnyturkey:

davisd9

I know where plenty of are here is SC.  Does not mean they are all over but just happen to like this piece of ground.  If they need protecting then I am ok for it, but I only kill one around a house or if I am threatened by him in the woods.  I try to leave them alone when I see them but if they are between me and where I am trying go get and there is no other way than it is on him if he does not move.  

They are beautiful creatures and I think it would be bad for them not be in there natural ranges.  If they are in the woods away from harming a person than I think they should be left alone.  
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

turkey slayer

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

turkey slayer

HogBiologist

Quote from: stone road turkey calls on May 21, 2012, 02:30:21 PM
if it dosen't have shoulders kill it.

Considering there are only a few venimous species of snakes around here, I let all the non venimous snakes pass.  No sense killing something I dont eat and that aint gonna hurt me.

We have to worry about:
Canebreak Rattle Snake
Pygmy Rattle Snake
Copper Heads
Water Mochasins (Cotton Mouths)
Coral Snakes
Certified Wildlife Biologist

savduck

Quote from: slickyboyboo on May 21, 2012, 02:28:02 PM
Quote from: TeocTom on May 21, 2012, 01:50:02 PM
Quote from: Skeeterbait on May 21, 2012, 01:41:35 PM
Wow, this is a tough call.  I hate to think of us loosing such a species, but dang I don't ever want to run into another one.  These are FREEKIN big snakes.  The timbers we have are nothing in comparison.  Nor are water moccasins even though they have relatively worse aggressive nature.  We are just on the north edge of the range in south Alabama.  I have only ever encountered one long time ago but by all rights he should have had me.  They are the only snake I fear a snake boot won't stop.

I was just thinking after reading this post, i wonder who determines if our boots are actually snake proof? I wonder who would try them on and test 'em out.
Kinda like the shark suit, someone has to give it a try to make sure it would work :funnyturkey:

I tested a pair out, in 2004. Had a 4.5' water moccasin pop me in the ankle, the second weekend of turkey season. They were snake proof, but it felt like someone hit me in the ankle with a framing hammer, and left a nasty bruise.

I know quite A few rattlesnake wranglers. They all wear chaps. I asked them why and everyone says Eastern will and can hit you above the boot. We have Easterns, timbers, and pigmies here in GA. Our barrier islands have some of the highest concentrations per square mile of anywhere in the US and they get BIG. When I was little we used to hunt them. I have a picture of my neighbor, he is 6'5" with his arms straight up he has an Eastern in each hand, without their heads and they are touching the ground. The old hunting grounds is now a public running/walking trail.

Georgia Boy