OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stoeger M3500 opinions

Started by 601hand, May 17, 2012, 04:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

601hand

Looking to buy a new semi auto turkey shotgun. Anyone have any experience with the Stoeger M3500?

Mike Honcho

I bought a new apg camo 26" barrel 3500 this spring but not for turkey, for waterfowl this fall.  I have done some basic cycle testing with it...mixing loads of 1 1/8oz 2 3/4" , 3 1/2" magnums and 3" magnums in the magazine.

So far it cycles any and all shells I have put in it flawlessly.  I have shot a couple 3 1/2" Hevi Shot Mag Blends and it cycles them fine...recoil a little stiff as the gun is maybe 7 1/2 lbs.

I will do some turkey load and choke work with it before next season but have not had time to do so this season.

I think if you are an average hunter thats shoots a few hundred rounds a year hunting you'll love it. 

The ONLY knock I have on it so far is the trigger pull is about 7 lbs.  That is too much and I will have mine worked on by a competent gunsmith and hopefully lower to about 4 1/2 lbs.

601hand

Thanks for the info. I don't do much shooting with a shotgun all year long. That's why I cant justify spending $1500 on a shotgun although I know they are well worth it. That answers my question. I mainly wanted to know how it cycled the 2-3/4" shells. I figured it would cycle the 3" magnums ok. I just want an all around shotgun that I can dove hunt with but especially turkey hunt with.

CASH

It's a great gun.  Zero problems with mine.  It has cycled cheapo 2 3/4" shells all the way up to 3 1/2".
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

TauntoHawk

agreed I hunt turkeys hard but it still only a month and I dont do any small game or waterfowl hunting

I think the Stoeger 3500 is going to be my next turkey gun but I will get in the comfort grip pistol stock and 24" barrel and APG

can still put a limbsavers, sumtoy choke, and red dot on it for under 1k

How is the foregrip? I have short arms so my hand has to position further back and it doesnt always work well on guns that have bulky or forward foregrips like the mossbergs
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SumToy

From what we have seen it is a good gun.  Only thing is the stock turkey choke you need to forget about.  Get you a good aftermarket one and you will be ready.   :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

601hand

Thanks guys.  I really appreciate the info. I actually found one last night brand new for $616 but it was in the Max 4 camo. Had it been black or APG it would have been mine.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: SumToy on May 18, 2012, 07:53:33 AM
From what we have seen it is a good gun.  Only thing is the stock turkey choke you need to forget about.  Get you a good aftermarket one and you will be ready.   :anim_25:

before I looked who wrote this I was about to say "X2 mine will have a sumtoy"

:icon_thumright:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

bandedhonker

Myself and several friends have the M3500...we have had zero issues shooting any load we fire.  We have hunted all waterfowl/turkey season with them and they pattern excellent.  They are easy to clean and for the money they are as good as my SBE.  I put a different recoil pad on mine and she handles the magnum turkey loads with ease.  You can't go wrong with this gun for under 600.00

TauntoHawk

Quote from: bandedhonker on May 18, 2012, 12:54:31 PM
Myself and several friends have the M3500...we have had zero issues shooting any load we fire.  We have hunted all waterfowl/turkey season with them and they pattern excellent.  They are easy to clean and for the money they are as good as my SBE.  I put a different recoil pad on mine and she handles the magnum turkey loads with ease.  You can't go wrong with this gun for under 600.00

What recoil pad did you get? what fits?

thanks

bandedhonker

I took off the stock pad and put on a Sims "slip on".  With the slip-on there are no screws just friction fit.  I then put  on a Beartooth neoprene stock guard which partially covers the 2 1/2" overlap the slip-on's have.  The Beartooth stock guard gives extra cushion on the mag loads and helps hold the slip-on in place.  Made a huge difference in recoil and comfort.

601hand

Ok. I bought my stoeger today. What turkey choke would you guys recommend.

bandedhonker

I think it depends on what load you want to shoot.  I put a Trulock Federal Hwt #7 .650 on mine and it throws great patterns with the Hwt 7's and 6's.  Averages about 233 with the 7's. My buddy shoots Magblend and has a Hevishot .656 on his and gets over 200. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 601hand on May 18, 2012, 07:27:30 PM
Ok. I bought my stoeger today. What turkey choke would you guys recommend.

The choke that is doing best in that gun for my readers has been the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke. I've had a hard time keeping those in stock this season.

That choke just seems to have been designed specifically for those guns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

surehuntsalot

saving my money to buy one at this very minute
it's not the harvest,it's the chase