turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gun Camera Mount....Anyone used one???

Started by VA_Birdhunter, February 28, 2011, 10:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA_Birdhunter

After almost 20yrs of spring gobbler hunting I decide to start trying to film some hunts last spring.  I manged to film a youth hunt which was awesome.  I took my good hunting buddies little boy and he laid the smack down on a jack....he shot it at about 15 yrds in front of us.  Then on the spring opener it was just me and my hunting buddy.  We have grouse hunted together over 20 yrs and this was his first spring turkey hunt at age 45.  It went great....I called in a gobbler on a short ridge for him and he done his part and I was able to get that on film.   But I also hunt a lot solo and would like to try and film some hunts then to.  I've head of the gun camera mounts but have never considered using them tell now.  So has anyone tried one of these and if so how good did they work?

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Skeeterbait

I looked into it a while back and was advised you need a special camera made for gun mounting.  Standard video cameras are not likely to survive recoil.  I found a few specialized weapons cameras.  One is made by Burris and is called the shotcam.  May or may not be legal in your area though because it also included a flashlighht and targeting laser.  Neither are allowed to be attached to a hunting weapon in Alabama.

PANYHunter

They have those ones that attach to a hat, not sure who makes them.  There are also some that are integrated into a pair of sunglasses.  I think something like that would be easier to maneuver than having to swing your gun around especially when turkeys are close. 

guesswho

I've filmed a couple of hunts with the gun mounted camera system.  Everything is good up until the shot.  The recoil is so bad the camera quit filming on each of the shots.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

OLE RASPY

Quote from: PANYHunter on February 28, 2011, 11:26:45 AM
They have those ones that attach to a hat, not sure who makes them.  There are also some that are integrated into a pair of sunglasses.  I think something like that would be easier to maneuver than having to swing your gun around especially when turkeys are close. 
I say the one that goes on a hat might be the ticket.

Reloader

I got one of the tiny Stealth Cam units for Christmas.  It's very small and light weight.  It came with some mounts ect, but I'm not sure if the quality of the picture is worth a hoot.  Been thinking about mounting it on a shotgun or crossbow to try out.

Cove

I've used one for the past several years while hunting solo, its the type that attaches to the magazine tube and puts the camera on the side of the gun (it may be called deer ridge mount, can't remember) I had a Sony handycam I'd put on it. It will capture the hunt which is much better than nothing but its not quality footage as you may imagine. It's next to impossible to get a good kill scene due to recoil. But my take is, why not if its your only option. I'll post one of my gun cam hunts once I get back to a computer. The problem I see with the glasses and hat mounts is not being able to make sure they're pointed in the right direction and the inability to zoom.

Here's a few hunts from the gun camera mount, as you can tell, its rough footage but always nice to watch to freshen the memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puq1LnUyZ8M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwTO45rL_jI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIlux8ugXb8

Austy

I had a mount made for my double barrel black powder percussion shotgun and it works good up until you take a shot and then the camera due to the recoil shuts down.  I have also tried mounting one onto a regular pump shotgun and the recoil from the shot tore out the mounting stud from the bottom of the camera, my mistake.  Best advice I can give you for a gun mounted camera is that if you do mount your camera make sure that you have as much of the surface of the bottom of the camera attached to a solid surface so that the entire camera will move with the mount, this should avoid the mounting stud from the bottom of the camera from being torn out.  The way I mount my camera to my black powder the entire bottom of the camera is supported and I have never had any problems with the mounting stud and believe me a black powder shotgun still lets you know you pressed the trigger.
I have had great success with a small tripod with the same camera mounted on the tripod.  Keep the tripod between your legs while sitting, with your legs up you can make some movement.  I have a tripod handle for the camera that works everything for the camera from turning the camera on to zooming in and out at the touch of a button that can easily be manipulated with very little movement.  Good Luck!!! 

longarm

I believe others are having luck with the cameras made by GoPro. They have various mounting systems, though none specifically for a gun that I am aware of. Most are worn on the hat. A lot of mountain bikers, kayakers, skiers, etc use them and I have seen some video of a duck hunt that was pretty darn good. High quality, small, HD cameras.

Wrangler95

I have the DeerRidge Innovations mount.It mounts a camera to a gun,shotgun or bow.It does very well until the shot!I also have the I-Cam camo glasses camera,it does well if you are not over 15 yards away from the animal,it has no magnification!To get the best video,like someone said is using a tripod but thats not exact either.Someone videoing you is the best!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Fullfan

Okay you guys just cost my 180.00. I have been looking at the ikam glasses for about a month. But saw this post a few hours ago and I have been researching the Gopro  cameras them since. Just purchased a GoPro 960 with a 18g card. looking forward to having some fun with it.

Thanks .....
Don't gobble at me...

hookedspur

Ive tried with no luck yet,,, I will keep trying though.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

turkey_slayer

I hacked a regular hand held camera one time that had video mode.  I installed it on the end of my bow stabilizer.  I hacked into the on/off switch, zoom button, and record button.  Had 3 buttons glued to the backside of my grip (I shoot with an open hand)  I could reach around with my finger and turn it on, hit the next button to zoom, then the next one to start/stop recording.  Worked great till the shot  :character0029:.  Vibration isnt good for electronics like that.  If there was a way you could make a hydraulic piston and attach it to that I bet it would work but your video would still be shakey at the shot.  Let us know if you find something  :icon_thumright:

RutnNStrutn

My girlfriend got me one for Xmas. Its made by BA Products. It has a mini-tripod, a hat mount, a gun mount and some other mount, and a waterproof case for bad weather. Haven't used it yet, but I'm gonna try it this spring.

hookedspur

You might chek out the midland adventure camera
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions