OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Over under turkey guns?

Started by BlakeJ, May 16, 2012, 09:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeJ

Hey everyone, long time turkey hunter, first time poster here.

I'm wanting to put together a 3.5" over under turkey gun, so I can have a long range barrel and an up close barrel. I'm needing a little guidance on what gun to get and how to mount optics to an over under. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd rather not spend a ton of money on the gun itself, since it's only going to be used for turkeys. I know Tristar makes an inexpensive camo 3.5" that looks like it would work.

BlakeJ

yeah the point of aim/point of impact is the one thing that bothers me about an o/u turkey gun.  but i would think that i could overcome that with a properly mounted optic.

the fabarm turkey mag already has the scope rail in place, i might dish out the extra $$ and get one of those.  should be a better made gun too, being italian.

BrowningGuy88

An optic won't overcome the two barrels shooting to different places. You very well may get one that shoots both barrels to same point, but you may not. Barrel convergence issues really showup when you stick a tight turkey choke.

Now with that said, a lot of people have them and use them to great effect.

BlakeJ

i was kinda thinking about sighting in the long range barrel to the optic, and just knowing where to hold for the other barrel if it ends up being a different point of impact. 

i've missed birds that came in on my lap and i just don't want to do it anymore.

DocHolliday

Quote from: BlakeJ on May 16, 2012, 02:00:01 PM
i've missed birds that came in on my lap and i just don't want to do it anymore.

Thats the whole reason to use a double! Good luck. I've always sighted the top bbl for distance w/ turkey choke and the bottom bbl open for those in your lap. I think you will find that done this way the bottom bbl will require you to hold on the head rather than the wattles. Most poa/poi's are regulated to meet at about 40 yds and you are asking the bottom bbl to go somewhere else. It can be overcome with a little discipline-my kids seem to be able to handle it just fine-doubles of one sort or another are all we shoot now (99%) anyway.

magnumgray

I bought a fabarms  3.5  o/u several years ago, and it is a great gun.  I have a trulock super full in the upper barrell and shoot Remington  Wingmaster HD 3" 6's ..... In the Lower barrel I have modified choke with 1 1/2 oz load  2 3/4"  copper plated  6's.  The truth of the matter is I kill more turkeys with the modified barrel at 25 yds or less ..... I'd rather be shooting a volley ball at close range than a tennis ball pattern ,,,,

If you can find one of these guns .... they are already back bored ( they call it tribore) and ported ...... I've nver shot a 3.5 in mine .....  How dead can you kill a turkey without killing yourself...

Why torture yourself when a 3" will get the job done

A friend and I have been talking about the tristar o/u