turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A Bakers Dozen!

Started by GSLAM95, May 14, 2012, 03:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSLAM95

The 2012 Spring turkey season has come to a close and I wanted to make one thread to share what was a very special season. 
I have a lot of pictures so I will add a few with each post. 
This year was focused on 4 places to hunt - TN private/public ground, then Fort Campbell along with IL and MO... 
I titled this thread A Bakers Dozen! because I had thirteen total tags and I feel very lucky/fortunate to have filled them with 13 long beards and it all started on a WMA in TN.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

GSLAM95

My most memorable day of the spring season was April 7th as the birds were gobbling strong all day long.  I was able to take two birds on two separate set-ups that day while hunting at Fort Campbell and also took one on a piece of public ground.  A special Thank You to Richard Hudson for all his help and tips on the areas and places I hunted.  I had the opportunity to meet up with him at the National convention and again while at Fort Campbell.

Here are some more pictures from the TN trip...

The graveyard bird..

I named this one Mr "GT"  aka Golden Throat because of his course old gobble...

The call shy creek crosser...

GSLAM95

There were no motel rooms as I traveled and lived out of ol betsy (My 99 Chevy) that just turned 214,000 miles on this trip...

The Kitchen....

I took a lot of cold spring fed creek bathes on this trip and although I spent all my TN nights in the truck I must admit that I did find a bed or two in MO..

GSLAM95

Here is some scenery from Caney Mountain Park in MO...

GSLAM95

What kind of Mushroom is this?

I know this is a black Morel...

chatterbox

Looks like you had an AWSOME season!
Congrats on killing a ton of longbeards! :icon_thumright:

GSLAM95

I used the 20 gauge through most of the season this year with no blinds or decoys.

I have read and listened to a lot of comments from a few turkey hunters in the last couple of years saying how hunting with a blind was easier and cheating.  I am humbled at these comments as I hunt both open run-n-gun & bow methods.  I find that all methods are rewarding in their own special way but it takes packing a blind, bow, decoys and camera equipment to appreciate a self filmed bow hunt..   Here are some pictures from a few of the bow hunts..

GSLAM95

A bow kill from IL...

The NAP 3" cut F.O.C. (freaking outrageous cut) head does a number on them

GSLAM95

Had an encounter while working a bird in MO this year that I will never forget.  
The bird was gobbling good and went silent on me so I had the gun up and ready for what seemed like forever!  All of a sudden I heard a bunch of splashing and commotion of a wood duck down the hill in a small creek that runs through a pasture.  As I come out of the woods I seen a coyote chasing the wood duck hen who would not leave the area as she had a bunch of little ones following her up and down the creek.
The coyote seen me a split second later than I seen him and lets just say he had a bad day.

I followed the hen woody up the creek as her little chicks caught up to her trying to get a close up pic with the iPhone.  She cut up the bank one way and the chicks split up into the fescue pasture to hide.  I could not resist and followed to where I took the following picture.  Them little boogers are quick on the feet but hide in nothing when you get up on them.

I looked down and had one of them run right into the side of my shoe and stop like he was going to hide under the arch of my boot.  I picked him up, took the picture below and quickly released him with the others as they were all now running and swimming to catch back up to mom..

GSLAM95

Here is a Jake that thought he was the area stud service for the morning but that all changed about two hrs later when his grandpa showed up..
He opened a can of whoop rear end on my DSD Jake and turned gay for a little bit.  He later decided to climb up on top my DSD hen :D

GSLAM95

The Dirt Nap!

Just getting ready to chill out..

Although I used several different calls I think Herb Hornstra's trumpet may have been one of my favorites for the season...

GSLAM95

The season of tags...

Had some beard rot on a couple of different birds this year

Saved up all my legs until the end of the season for cleaning

I cut them off with a cordless grinder set up with a cut off wheel, de-skin and boil, then take the caps off the spur, scrape again, peroxide and borax them, rinse/dry and hot glue the caps back on and finally put 2 coats of boiled linseed oil on them before they are ready for display.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Awesome season.

Very, very well done.

Congrats

bbcustomboxcalls

Man that was a great season!!!!  Looks like you hunted some beautiful places too.

Bill

vaturkey

WOW ! Awesome Season ! Congrats ! Great Pics !  :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey