OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

if you were to build a new turkey gun?

Started by TauntoHawk, May 14, 2012, 03:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

Alright guys semi - hypothetical question.I want to build another turkey gun, it will only be used for turkey but it will be used by a verity of people. So simple and versatile is the name of the game. You have a rough $1000 budget but under budget is never a bad thing. Budget includes shotgun, sling, choke, stock or recoil pads, and sight

Key wants
excepts 3.5" shells
has a 24" or shorter barrel
has to have some type of thumbhole or pistol grip stock
semi is a plus but not ruling out pumps
will have some type of reddot maybe a scope mounted on it

I talked to a stoeger rep about the new M3500 last week, he said production is really behind and it might be a while til they finish offering all options for the 3500. I was calling to ask about a steady grip and 24" barrel on the 3500 which the rep said will be done and offered around 700 MSRP but it could be a year til they begin production maybe even a little more. I really think this is the shotgun I want to add but if there's a chance it doesn't make it out by next season I need to start looking at other options.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dirt road ninja

If your going new. I'd think you can get the pistol grip 935 for about 650.00 and it has a 22" barrel. She comes drilled and tapped from the factory. Chokes can be had for +/- 60.00 That would leave you just under 300.00 for optics.

You could put together just about any pump gun for a lot less than 1000.00 I've been on the look out for a 935. Good luck.

SammyC

X2 on the Mossberg.  I would suggest something like the turkey thugs as it has the m4 style adjustable stock and can be fired easily either handed.  That's my only complaint about my 835 is the thumbhole makes it hard to fire left handed if necessary...

BrowningGuy88

I am building two now. Whichever one I like best stays and the other goes. I am way over budget though...

For your budget, I would go with a Mossy 935 Pistol Grip and drop on burris fast fire or mueller red dot. Add a SumToy choke and some Hevi or Xtended Range 6's and kill turkeys!!!

bird

Quote from: slickyboyboo on May 14, 2012, 08:11:48 PM
Rem 870, SPS syn fore grip, Knoxx specops stock, turkey choke of your choice, claw sling, Burris FF III, 336 mount. All that and a nice Camo dip job should come in just under budget.

Exactly and let me add, friends don't let friends shoot Mossbergs!

TauntoHawk

I've actually never handled a mossberg, I've always had 870s and have used a few 11-87s for geese and a stoeger M2000 once.

My current set up is a 870 espress 21 barrel, sumtoy chock, sureshot stock, and Fast Fire II I love it and its an awesome turkey rig but I'd like to have 2 for when I take people.

might look around for a used 11-87 this summer
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

duckaholic25

I have a buddy who has a 870 with the specops stock and he dosent like it at all. Says it kicks him worse than regular stocks.

bird

Quote from: duckaholic25 on May 15, 2012, 08:20:14 AM
I have a buddy who has a 870 with the specops stock and he dosent like it at all. Says it kicks him worse than regular stocks.

He probably isn't holding it properly in that seat of his shoulder.  I have a SPECOPS Knoxx stock on my 870SM and this gun is freaking awesome and I wouldn't consider any gun over this one no matter the cost or brand.

Wingbone

Wow, that's odd. One came on my Max Gobbler and it has the recoil of an air rifle. You sure he has the Recoil Reduction system in his Spec Ops stock? I think they sell two versions and one of them has no springs or inernal recoil management.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

chaz_Z7

remington 870 sps shurshot synthetic turkey///got mine at buds gun shop for 530 mounted a nikon turkey pro on it for 179 $ and chokes well it jus depends 20 to 70 $

TauntoHawk

let me pose another question in the mix.... How important is a 3.5" gun, how many of you are still just shooting 3" shells

the option would be nice but Im still going to be using 3" shells in my 870 and that thing flat out shoots.. and Ive seen several people mention that the 3's actually pattern tighter for some

so is a few extra in the 20 worth paying extra for a gun tho shoot them and extra on the shells since 3" are a few bucks less per box

TauntoHawk

thanks Grizz thats kinda how I was feeling..

I dont feel impared by my 3" gun but it sure would be nice..

Wingbone

Quote from: Bad Grizzly on May 15, 2012, 10:03:34 AM
Quote from: AngryBird on May 15, 2012, 08:36:18 AM

He probably isn't holding it properly in that seat of his shoulder.  I have a SPECOPS Knoxx stock on my 870SM and this gun is freaking awesome and I wouldn't consider any gun over this one no matter the cost or brand.

Quote from: Wingbone on May 15, 2012, 08:44:53 AM

Wow, that's odd. One came on my Max Gobbler and it has the recoil of an air rifle. You sure he has the Recoil Reduction system in his Spec Ops stock? I think they sell two versions and one of them has no springs or inernal recoil management.

It doesn't seem to matter how I hold mine.... how tight, how relaxed.... I agree with the statement of it kicks worse.... and the gun is a Max Gobbler as well..... Seems more to the point of TOO springy..... the forearm jumps out of my hand nearly every time..... completely ejects the shell as well..... I enjoy shooting my regular, thumbhole, or shur-shot stocks much more.

Well, in that case, I wouldn't like it either. I haven't had any experiences with mine like that other than when I had it in a vise to sight in the reddot. I only shoot 3" shells out of mine, don't know if that makes the difference or not.  You can't go wrong with any of the Shur Shot guns though. I love mine as well.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

TauntoHawk

and the main reason I want semi over pump is the reduced recoil, I want my wife or a youth hunter to be able to handle it.

and I figured by the time I put a recoil stock on a pump for $150 im getting close to the price of a semi anyways

grousec

Go with a semi.  I went the pump route and didn't like it.  Now shoot a 935 pistol Grip Turkey and I sure love it.  You can do one under your budget..