turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finally Scored in NY

Started by dvdegeorge, May 14, 2012, 09:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvdegeorge

Been a tuff season after passing on 2 jakes May 1st I didn't hear a gobble till Saturday... Took me till this a.m. to pattern this guy and slip in amongst  his harem of hens called the hens off the roost and he came looking at 6:25
A load of Hevi 13 3 1/2" Mag Blend from the 835 at 15 yards ended his fun

njdevilsb

Congrats on getting it done.  He looks like a good one.  It seems like a tough year here in NY compared to seasons past.

surehuntsalot

very nice bird....congrats
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mikejd

Quote from: njdevilsb on May 14, 2012, 10:03:44 AM
Congrats on getting it done.  He looks like a good one.  It seems like a tough year here in NY compared to seasons past.

Congrats.
And njdevilsb I felt it was a bit better in my area of NY this year then probably the last 5. I didn't manage to bag one yet but seems to.be a lot of birds around. Granted they do not gobble at all after they hit the ground but atleast there have been birds around. To many seems to be my problem. But I'm not complaning.
Oh yea Rangers tonight.
Mike.

njdevilsb

Quote from: mikejd on May 14, 2012, 12:12:57 PM

Congrats.
And njdevilsb I felt it was a bit better in my area of NY this year then probably the last 5. I didn't manage to bag one yet but seems to.be a lot of birds around. Granted they do not gobble at all after they hit the ground but atleast there have been birds around. To many seems to be my problem. But I'm not complaning.
Oh yea Rangers tonight.
Mike.

I'm actually more of a Rangers fan, this is just a really old user name that I've had for years on many sites.  So, go Rangers.

The most any 1 bird has gobbled for us on the roost, on the ground, or combined has been about 6 or 7 times and he was flopping about 10 minutes after flydown.  We seem to have an abundance of hens, more than I usually see,  compared to the amount of toms.  Even jakes, we have only seen 2 all year, anywhere around where we hunt.  All of this is half the fun, trying to figure out what you need to do.  My bird gave us the slip day 1, day 2 our plan worked out. 

I will say, my dad and I have been spoiled the last 4 of 5 years, both being tagged out by this time.  This year, they seem to have the blueprints.

Ruger M77

looks like he about lost his head congrats!
I eat therefore I hunt

tomstopper

Congrats.. Still looking to get my first NY bird this season on the ground.

beagler

Never Misses

hunter-b

captin_hook

Nice bird..I'm shocked you didn't take his head off that close with that dose of 3.5 blends.

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

HARDCORE

Congrats!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Way to stay after em, passing on the other two was well worth getting that longbeard this morning, good call.  :you_rock:

HC

WyoHunter

Congrats! Nice bird that was well worth the wait!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

TauntoHawk

What area of NY? my experience this year has been decent bird number, I expected better after seeing piles in Feb/March but they split up pretty good by May. I have heard far less roost gobbling but the 10am - noon time has been phenominal and bird have been extremely callable during that time.

This is south of Albany in Greene County.

Congrats to the OP for a fine bird

Quote from: njdevilsb on May 14, 2012, 01:27:22 PM
Quote from: mikejd on May 14, 2012, 12:12:57 PM

Congrats.
Oh yea Rangers tonight.
Mike.

I'm actually more of a Rangers fan, this is just a really old user name that I've had for years on many sites.  So, go Rangers.

The most any 1 bird has gobbled for us on the roost, on the ground, or combined has been about 6 or 7 times and he was flopping about 10 minutes after flydown.  We seem to have an abundance of hens, more than I usually see,  compared to the amount of toms.  Even jakes, we have only seen 2 all year, anywhere around where we hunt.  All of this is half the fun, trying to figure out what you need to do.  My bird gave us the slip day 1, day 2 our plan worked out. 

I will say, my dad and I have been spoiled the last 4 of 5 years, both being tagged out by this time.  This year, they seem to have the blueprints.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Devastator

congrats,how long is that beard?been tough here in northern pa. also cause of all the hens.