turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Number 1 in Ohio for me...

Started by DeWayne Knight, May 08, 2012, 10:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeWayne Knight

After helping my young 9 year old buddy "Action Jaxon" kill two studs, I've been hunting as much as time allowed.  I had hunted this particular bird for 5 days and had several encounters with him at 50-60-70 yards where he would not commit and ended up giving me the slip or flat out walking away when you called to him.  The last time was last Wednesday when he went against his pattern and went left instead of where he usually went.  After missing 5 days in the prime of turkey season to attend a wedding in Hilton Head Island, SC, I finally got back into the woods this afternoon here in Ohio.  We can hunt until sunset the last two weeks of the season here, but I prefer to kill gobbling birds.  I got out at about 5:30 this evening, and worked my way through the woods to a hidden field about a half mile off one road, and a quarter mile off the other road.  It had been raining all day and the sun was coming out and the sky was breaking blue through the clouds.  I figured this bird might be going to the field for the last few hours to strut in the sunshine.  As I got to the edge of the field, I heard a gobble back in the woods.  The bird gobbled a half dozen times on his way to the field.  I got set up on a gas line right of way just in the edge of the woods parallel to the field.  I was laying prone in the grass of the cleared right of way in a sniper position.  After the last gobble at 40-50 yards I clucked to him a few times on my mouth diaphragm.  He stepped out into the right of way at 28 steps looking for the hen and in my best Carlos Whitefeather imitation I smoked him with a load of Winchester Supreme #5's.  He was a brawler, both spurs broken, one at 1 1/8" and the other at 7/8".  I'm guessing they would have been at least 1 3/8" or better were they not broken.  11" beard and he weighed 22.75 lbs.

Now it's time to try and fill tag #2

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

WiLL B

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Spring_Woods

Thats awesome, congrats. Evening hunting can be fun.. if you don't mind saying, what county were you hunting?
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

870FaceLift

Nice bird you got there!  Congrats on taking him.  There's still some good hunting in Ohio with a week and a half to go!  :newmascot:
Pass it on...

tomstopper

Congrats.. Great looking bird.

MAKEemQUIVER

Sounds like a great hunt, good job.
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

captin_hook

pullit

Limbstrutter

Congrats, #2 is waiting on yea.
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga