OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

835 troubles with hevi 13

Started by DirtNap647, May 08, 2012, 09:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

me and my buddy bought 2 new 835's this year we cant figure out why we can shoot any other 3 1/2" hevi load but the hevi 13 3 1/2" shells locks the forearm tight yank hard or hit it off something it ejects shell anyone know whats wrong called mossberg they told us to use the shells that eject (kind of irratated with them)...we are both shooting win xrd 3 1/2" 6 shot fine and we will continue to use that shell but we just dont understand whats different and why the hevi 13 would do this, any one else shooting a new mossberg thats doing this...?

Rockhound

my 835 was like that with every shell i put in it until i put several dozen rounds through it. its gottel alot better now

davisd9

I bought a new 835 last june and every now and then it is a little difficult to pump but never enough to cause a problem.  I shoot Hevi 3.5" 2.25 oz 6s.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

captin_hook

I've read a lot of threads on this happening with 835's. Just another reason why I'll never own another mossberg.

jim570

Bought my 835 new last year.  Shooting Heavy 13 3 1/2 with no problems.

lowoctane

The remedy seems to be polishing the chamber. Apparently Mossberg has opted to scrimp on the finishing part of their operation. Plus, Hevi must be using a softer, albeit, cheaper brass than Winchester.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Mike Honcho

Mine is on it's third year.  Year two and three I have been using Hevi Shot 3 1/2" mag blends or #7's.   I had to quit using them due to exact same problem.   I was having to hit the butt on the ground sharply to get them to eject.

I switched back to my Browning BPS 10 ga., 24" OR I have killed turkeys with the 835 and 3" # 6 lead winchester turkey loads.

I may polish the chamber but personally I don't think that will help....I think the brass is swelling too much on firing on the Hevi Shot loads.   It may be that some 835's have a slightly larger chamber diameter due to machining than others....that might explain why some have the problem and some don't.

SumToy

Next you fire one pull it out or tap it out with cleaning rod.  Try not to damage it.   Look at along with a unfired shell.  See if you can tell if it swelled the brass.   Over size chambers from the factory or from polishing can make this happen.   I have also had in the back of my head that the head space on some of the guns are off.    

Now if it is just doing it with one brand shell I would say it was the brass on the shell.   I know folks have cut every way they could to keep the shells down so folks will buy them.    Do yall know who they buy the hulls they use from.  
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Mike Honcho

I'll test fire a hevi 13 and a standard lead shell or two and compare the brass.  I have a digital micrometer so I can get an accurate reading.   I'll post the results.

DirtNap647

Quote from: Mike Honcho on May 09, 2012, 09:56:11 AM
I'll test fire a hevi 13 and a standard lead shell or two and compare the brass.  I have a digital micrometer so I can get an accurate reading.   I'll post the results.
that would be great cuz this is very frustrating

allaboutshooting

Just for informational purposes, this is not unique to 835s or to any particular shotshelll or shotgun. Every year I go to the Grand (Grand American Trap Shooting Championship) and spend some time with the gunsmiths there. The Grand takes place over 10 days with 100,000+ folks there over that time.

One of the more common problems is guns that won't eject shells.

For the most part, these are folks who shoot hundreds or thousands of trap, 2.75" shells during the year. They get to the championship where they have a chance of winning thousands of dollars, $100,000 top prize in 3 classes now, and thousands more before they get there, and their gun won't eject a shell. Many of these guns are the top makes and the top grades in the industry.

Sometimes it's something mechanical, a part that's broken and in need of replacement, sometimes it's a burr in the chamber or it just needs to be cleaned. I've also seen some of the top gunsmiths go through a gun and then tell the shooter that he just needs to shoot another brand of shell. The normal response is something like "I've been shooting those XXX shells all year and not had a problem."

For whatever reason their gun has decided that it just won't eject that shell now. It may eject them next week or even tomorrow but just not today.

Ah, the mysteries of our sport.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Mike Honcho

Here are results of a very quick test I did with my Mossberg 835, 24" ported turkey gun.   I used two shells, one for a "control" was a 3" Remington Nitro Turkey  1 7/8 oz , #4.  I used it because they function fine in this gun.   The other shell was a Hevi Shot 3 1/2" 5,6,7 Mag Blend.

I used a digital caliper and measured each shell unfired at three locations on the brass...lowest was a close as I could get to the rim, then exactly midway up the brass and finally the third measurement was at the top of the brass just where the plastic part of the cartridge is exposed.

Hopefully the info will show up ok in the two charts I made up.   The left column of info is unfired data, the right side is after the shells were fired.  The 3" Remington load ejected fine, the 3 1/2" hevi Shot load stuck in the chamber and I had to strike the butt sharply on the ground to eject the shell (as per normal problem with the gun).  The Hevi Shot load expanded quite a bit at the base/rim area which I presume is what is causing the "sticking" problem.  Prior to firing I made sure the barrel nut was as tight as possible.   If you closely examine the fired Hevi Shot shell you can actually  feel a "bell bottom" shape at the base /rim area.

Mike Honcho

Here is the data from the "control" shell , the Remington 3" Nitro Turkey 1 7/8oz #4

ILIKEHEVI-13

My 835 ejects them all.  I have yet to have a problem mechanically with my 835 that I bought brand new in 1998 I believe. 

SumToy

Quote from: Mike Honcho on May 11, 2012, 11:33:01 AM
Here are results of a very quick test I did with my Mossberg 835, 24" ported turkey gun.   I used two shells, one for a "control" was a 3" Remington Nitro Turkey  1 7/8 oz , #4.  I used it because they function fine in this gun.   The other shell was a Hevi Shot 3 1/2" 5,6,7 Mag Blend.

I used a digital caliper and measured each shell unfired at three locations on the brass...lowest was a close as I could get to the rim, then exactly midway up the brass and finally the third measurement was at the top of the brass just where the plastic part of the cartridge is exposed.

Hopefully the info will show up ok in the two charts I made up.   The left column of info is unfired data, the right side is after the shells were fired.  The 3" Remington load ejected fine, the 3 1/2" hevi Shot load stuck in the chamber and I had to strike the butt sharply on the ground to eject the shell (as per normal problem with the gun).  The Hevi Shot load expanded quite a bit at the base/rim area which I presume is what is causing the "sticking" problem.  Prior to firing I made sure the barrel nut was as tight as possible.   If you closely examine the fired Hevi Shot shell you can actually  feel a "bell bottom" shape at the base /rim area.

Yup the chamber is a little big and the shell is soft.  I think it is a little of both and they makes one big one.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA