OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Worst story ever, but Safe story !!!!!!!

Started by yukonhunter, May 08, 2012, 01:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukonhunter

Long story short, It has been rough in Ny so far. Not too much gobbling at all.On sunday I had a nice tom at sixty yards, I shoot an 1187 with heavy 7's but Im not risking wounding a bird so i let himwalk. Yesterday I passed up a jake that came in with 2 hens. Then I heard two gobblers going nuts the next ravine over.  I called to them for 45 minutes and they would not cross the ravine, I went all the way around towards them sothey would not see me. I set up the decoys in an old logging road, all of a sudden I heard them gobble from about 60yards away in the rush. I could not move or they would see me. So i just layed down proned out behind the decoys.  Then I heard a terrible sounding yelp almost like a bad hunter making a call, so I thought oh crap he might cut the gobblers off.  A few seconds later I saw a large object stalking out of the brush, I did not give it a second thought esp being setup right behind the decoys, I yelled "hunter hunter" then stood up and waved my hands.  It was 2 strutting gobblers coming down a small hill walking just above the other, it looked like the size of a human.  Im still sick to my stomach.  Good note is at least I was safe. But I cant even stop thinking about it
www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com      GIANT Alaskan Malamutes
http://www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com

stinkpickle

:TooFunny:  Safe AND Sorry!  That sounds like something I would do.   ;)

vicksburg

]

TrackeySauresRex

Better to be safe they say... Had to scare the poop outta ya!
B-Safe
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

catdaddy

I don't believe I would have told that one on myself :)

wvboy

I bet those two Longbeards got a good laugh out of that one sittin on the limb later that night :)

Better safe than sorry though ..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

Tail Feathers

Sorry it ended bad but that's funny. :TooFunny:
I once stood up and was ready to call out to the guy walking up behind me.  Turned out the guy walking up behind me was a hen.  She musta had huge feet because she crunched some leaves.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

jakebird

Too funny! Try and keep a sense of humor about it. You fooled them, called them in, which means you won in my book, dead bird or not.  Congrats on a cool hunt and a funny story your buddies will never tire of hearing!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

Thunderbolt

Dang....that suds ....but better safe then sorry...

Big Ugly

On the up side you are here to tell the story....and chase turkeys another day.  Good to play it safe!  :funnyturkey:

archery1

Quote from: Big Ugly on May 10, 2012, 10:57:14 PM
On the up side you are here to tell the story....and chase turkeys another day.  Good to play it safe!  :funnyturkey:
Take a kid hunting

Henshaw

Funny story, one I'm sure is going to be told around the campfire for many years. Absolutely would have done the same thing, so I  could have those many years around the campfire. Thanks for sharing.

Eric Gregg

That's the kind of things that happen that make hunting fun!
Glad it was two tom's and not two dudes.

redrivergar

You did the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk