OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

what #s to expect from 870 sps and 3.5-2/1/4-6 hevishot

Started by chaz_Z7, May 06, 2012, 03:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Cannot really tell you what numbers you should get with that load in the 870 but in my 835 I range from 200-230.  You will get higher numbers with the 7s and possibly the Mag blends, but from my experience the 6s give the best hunting pattern.  The others will kill but the 6s are much more even for my gun and I get a better hunting pattern at 20 yards with them in case he walks in close.  The Mag blends would be my second choice.

I would choose both of these over the 7s for this reason and because they are much easier to find at reasonable prices.  I am not knocking the 7s because they will kill but they are not a logical choice for me because of my hunting style and availability. 

I have a friend that shoots an 870 express 3" and is getting 200 - 240 with the 3" Mag Blends and around the same with 3" 6s using a Pure Gold .670.  Good Luck!

If you want to see my pattern with the 6s go to the thread Mossberg 835 Math Formula:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,25239.0.html
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I'm now over 250 with h13 3.5", 2.25 6s, polished barrel and a sumtoy .650.

Was at 237 prior to repolishing it right before the season.

jbrown

I'm gettin 215 in the 10 with a very dirty barrel. What lot # are you shootin?

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jbrown

Open the box, its printed on the inside of the box top. No big deal, just wanted to know what # he had.

nyhunter

Quote from: davisd9 on May 08, 2012, 08:46:49 PM
Do not get caught up in lot numbers.
He's asking what he can expect with the 3.5" 2.25oz #6 H-13 load. The lot number is gonna play a big role in the number he gets, Mainly because H-13 changes their internal component's all the time. So what loy# do you have?

davisd9

No clue what lot numbers are on the box.  I am guessing the new lots because I bought most of the boxes from Academy Sports before the season start.  Had a couple of older boxes as well so I am guessing a mixture.  I know why he asked about the lot numbers but the 6s have not varied much to care and I if I was to shoot 7s than I would be ok going from 270 to 235. 

davisd9

I guess we all figured he would be using a turkey choke.

captin_hook

Let's just say he goes with the factory REM HD turkey choke that comes with new 870 sps's. Id say to expect good things.  Mine shoots darn good with that choke and a hevi 3-2-6. I like a little more open pattern. I'm getting 177 in the 10 with the 3's and the HD choke.

captin_hook

davisd9

captin_hook

Chaz.. I'm sure that your hevis will perform well out of your 870. Put a decent turkey choke in and hit the range. You should be satisfied.

chaz_Z7

sorry guys..ive been working andhavent been able to get on here..but im trying a pure gold 670, 660 also i tried a ic 665 and posted my pattern in the picture forum with 217 in the 10 ..i havent tried my 660 pg yet