OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Weighing a turkey

Started by Yooper, May 06, 2012, 08:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yooper

If you field dress a turkey and then weigh it when you get home, how much did the turkey weigh in the field?  Is there a formula to determine this?

BOFF

It weighs as much as you want.  ;)

Seriously though, I'm not sure if there is a formula, or approximation like deer or not.

God Bless,
David B.

snapper1982

why even guess. if you want to know the weight just carry a scale in your vest.

Hognutz

Did you get a bird, Larry? PM me with the details..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

budtripp

I just carry a fish scale in the backseat of my truck. Never really felt the need to field dress a bird so not sure how much the guts weigh.

Turkeyman

Two to two and a half pounds depending on the size of the gobbler.

Swamprunner

Turkeys are about two things:
1) the experience

2) the spurs

Leave the scales to the biggest losers

gotcha

Worst thing you can do is weigh one unless you are just plain curious.Most 20# birds weigh between 17 and 18# once on the scale.Unless you got one of those midwest giants pushing the 30# mark,guess the weight,tell a good story and keep a great memory.I am to the point I dont even like to weigh fish,and I take people fishing for a living.Once weighed they stop growing.

catdaddy

Quote from: gotcha on May 06, 2012, 07:20:44 PM
Worst thing you can do is weigh one unless you are just plain curious.Most 20# birds weigh between 17 and 18# once on the scale.Unless you got one of those midwest giants pushing the 30# mark,guess the weight,tell a good story and keep a great memory.I am to the point I dont even like to weigh fish,and I take people fishing for a living.Once weighed they stop growing.

I could not agree more. I never weighted a turkey in my life until two years ago when I was on a team. I dont even measure the beard and spurs unless they are very obviously exceptional.

mnturkey

I weigh the bird for my hunting jouranl and the Turkey contest.  I also weigh the bird after it is plucked and dressed so I know how long to cook him.
SEMPER FI

learn2hide

it's not a bad management tool to have record of the weights, beards, and spurs...just don't know that it means much.  I've killed a few 25lb birds but my oldest, smartest, and best bird weighed under 20 and he still had a 12 inch beard and nearly 1 1/2" spurs, we hunted him 8 days, only gobbled once, I finally figured him out and intercepted him bringing his ladies back to the river bluff...it was a good day :-)  The experience was worth 30lbs and 14" beard LOL
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

gobblergls

Why would you want to weigh a bird?  It deprives them of the benefit of gaining weight after death. 

BOFF

Quote from: 2ounce6s on May 07, 2012, 02:36:02 PM
You guys crack me up. Glad I'm wearing knee boots. It's getting deep here.

Wader are often required.  :angel9:

God Bless,
David B.

mudhen

We weigh them whenever possible.

No reason not to.  We measure beards, spurs, etc.

I figger since I kilt him for no real good reason, the least I can do it take his stats.....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

budtripp

Quote from: mudhen on May 08, 2012, 12:17:38 AM
We weigh them whenever possible.

No reason not to.  We measure beards, spurs, etc.

I figger since I kilt him for no real good reason, the least I can do it take his stats.....

mudhen

Exactly, it doesn't really make a difference what he weighs, but Its good to know and it satisfies my curiosity