Main Menu

what new toy would you get

Started by sugarray, February 27, 2011, 06:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you get a GPS or DSDs?

DeLorme PN-40
DSD feeding and submissive hen

sugarray

I have wanted a GPS for a long time.  I not very good at getting around in the woods and keeping my way.   I am very cautious and slow to get deep into new areas, and if a situation arises where I am not comfortable going after a bird, I wouldn't go.  This would be a good investment for me and my hunting.

I also will, at some point, be getting DSD decoys.  I have a pretty decent upright, so my first purchase would be a feeder and submissive.  Then would add an upright and a jake at some point.  These would add that DSD factor as they are awesome.  These would definitely tip things more in my favor when trying to get my son his first bird, but I have had turkeys come willingly to my upright now.

So, vote and then give your opinion as to why.  Thanks

hookedspur

Ray you need a gps they are great.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Tail Feathers

I'd go with the GPS.  If it gets you further into the woods and from the roads you're gonna find more turkeys and more new ground your boots haven't touched.

That's way better than even the way-cool DSD.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

CASH

Dude, if you can't get around in the woods well, invest in a GPS and a compass as backup.  Forget the decoys, you don't need them.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

drum817

defiantly the GPS if it will make you more comfortable going deeper in the woods.... a collapseable decoy would be better on long trips in the woods anyway IMO  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

RutnNStrutn

Ray, I'm with the guys, get the GPS. If you get lost, that can be a miserable, and possibly catastrophic event. For your safety, and to give you more confidence to roam further, that's the way to go. You can get the dekes later on.

OLE RASPY

Quote from: CASH on February 27, 2011, 06:35:11 PM
Dude, if you can't get around in the woods well, invest in a GPS and a compass as backup.  Forget the decoys, you don't need them.
x2

RutnNStrutn

Especially in WV. I love to run and gun in your beautiful state. But dekes do have their place.

guesswho

I'd go with a GPS, even if I liked Deke's. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

woodchip

I would go with the GPS.  I hunt alot of big woods and it will help you find more birds because of the confidence it gives you.  I hunt a military base alot and there are areas where they have planted the trees in perfect rows.  They are perfect no matter which way you look, straight ahead, diagonal.  I guess they do it to shake up the soldiers when they are training.  LOL, it shakes me up to!!  Love my GPS.  Mine isn't expensive but it works, Magellan Triton 500.  I hardly ever use decoys

harvester

go with the gps, gettin lost or turned around aint no fun at all. Makes for some long walks.

woodchip

That DeLorme PN-40 looks like a good one, just checked out their website.

sugarray

It does look really nice, there are mixed reviews with some freezing and slow download times.  Figure for $200 less than the Garmin I was looking at, it was very much worth a try.  I'm going to order it tonight.

Guess I just needed you guys to beat down my stupid want for a DSD right now.  I'll get them, but the GPS will certainly serve me better.

boggszilla

Quote from: OLE RASPY on February 27, 2011, 07:27:42 PM
Quote from: CASH on February 27, 2011, 06:35:11 PM
x2

X3 :icon_thumright:

oatsj