turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's your favorite pop up blind?

Started by Ridgerunner7, May 02, 2012, 10:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridgerunner7

So what's your favorite?  Do you prefer a black/dark inside or a lighter inside?  How about window types?

I have the ASAT Reaper blind.  It's pitch black inside and very dark.  If you where camo inside you can see movement better than if your wore all black.  The pattern is sweet and seems to work great for deer with minimal brushing in.  Haven't used it much for turkeys yet but I will be. 

budtripp

I've only used it this season but I really like my double bull darkhorse.

eaglea1

I like my KillZone pretty good, easy up, didn't break the bank

slwayne

I bought an Ameristep Brickhouse prior to this season and have been very satisfied so far.  Easy to set up and the price was manageable.  Used it on 2 Michigan hunts so far with 2 birds down.  This morning I had myself, my buddy and a video camera on a tripod and there was plenty of room.  He got his gobbler at 7:55 and I got some awesome video.  When we used the blind to get my bird on opening day he said that using a blind felt like cheating.  After his successful hunt this morning I think he has changed his tune.

decoykrvr

Hunting out of a pop-up blind is like having sex wearing a condom.  You can say what you like about your sucess concerning either endeavor, but it's just a semblance of the real thing.

xHuskerx

Double Bull Darkhorse X2.

I owned the Primos vision but zipper broke 1st time out and the window magnets seemed to be noisey with the slightest wind.  Took it back to Cabela's with their excellent return policy, traded for the Darkhorse (with a little cash), and have never looked back.  The window configuration of the Darkhorse is wonderful.  I wear black long sleeve and camo pants, I bring a camo top along in case I want to jump out and chase em.

magnus

i'm in Pennsylvania....have 2 new Darkhorse blinds (the "Crush" version) that I'd part with if anyone is interested.....PM me.

Michigander

Quote from: decoykrvr on May 07, 2012, 01:12:10 PM
Hunting out of a pop-up blind is like having sex wearing a condom.  You can say what you like about your sucess concerning either endeavor, but it's just a semblance of the real thing.
:TooFunny: That's funny right there, and I agree.

Tuttle

Double Bull dark horse, no question.  Natchez had them on sale for about $200 recently.

Tail Feathers

I like my Doghouse blind.  But I've never turkey hunted out of it, just deer.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

jakebird

Im not a huge advocate of blinds, but then again i never really tried one till this year. (I'm in agreement with the sex/condom comment guy, lol) This year i decided to try one for the benefit of my young son, though he did smoke one last yr without a blind. We borrowed an ameristep doghouse blind from a friend. I was pleased with the ease of setup and the added concealment was very confidence building. Boy stretched out and took a nice nap on the ground, using my vest pad as a pillow. Looked tempting! No birds down that day, but i managed to keep an eight yr old concealed and in one place from dawn till noon, so chalk one up for the blind.  :)
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

bigredneck61088

I got a primos ground max eclipse which i like alot, the shoot thru windows are junk on it, but i never use em anyways other than to look thru. My buddies have nice ameristeps that are a comparible model, however they twist during assembly and both have broke theirs. My primos is easy as pie to setup and durable as hell, 3 seasons of hard use and i have had zero issues. Just a no frills hard use blind, and I'd buy another one

cornfedkiller

VGJ5

I've been turkey hunting since I was a boy (over 20 years now), but I never used a blind until this year.  My wife gave me the Ghostblind Runner as a b-day gift, and I love that thing!  We took some birds down with it this season, including mine on opening day that came silently strutting right to us at about 10:45 on a hot and humid south Alabama morning.  Needless to say, we weren't exactly ready; my cousin was laying with his head up, showing me something on his phone.  We heard one more gobble after we packed up the blind and ultimately took one more (same tree) without the blind.  A nice double on opening day. 
I would say I use it about 50% of the time, due to old habits.  I don't hunt fields though, so I need something quick, which the Runner is.  It has six mirror panels, folds up small, and is light.  I'm excited about using it during deer season, when I'll actually be using some scent killer.
As for its flaws, it might work a little too well.  I almost had a hen jump in the blind with me one morning.  On a single morning, I had incidents with two deer and a raccoon.  The turkey is gobbling out over a pond to the Northeast, when two deer walk in front of me from the left about 20 steps, then loop around and walk in front of me again about 10 steps.  Then he finally looks up at me and since I had my mouth yelper in, I of course yelped at him a couple times, to which he and his buddy jumped back about 40 steps (then standing directly between me and my turkey).  I tried waving, standing up behind the blind and waving, but it took sidestepping and waving to finally scare them off.  I thought for sure they scared my bird away, but then he answered my lynch box again.  Then I see something coming through the woods, so I get excited, but it's just a raccoon headed straight for the blind.  I was going to throw a stick at him, but I decided to see how close he would get.  I lost sight of him and then two little hands reached over the blind and he slowly peeked his head over, then slowly ducked back down behind it.  I decided to tap the blind to scare him off, but I hit it too hard with my gun and it fell on top of him!  He hightailed it through the woods faster than I've ever seen a raccoon run.  Somewhere in there my bird landed on the other side of the pond and I heard him gobble as he slipped away . . .
"Turkey hunting is a series of instant tactical decisions that are invariably irreversible."
- Colonel Tom Kelly

busta biggun

I have the Double Bull 360 and I love it! I had three other blinds and I am very rough on them but they only lasted a couple of years and they were much more difficult to set up. I can give examples if what I am talking about if needed. The 360 is durable, VERY easy to set up and as the name suggests, you can have a 360 view which is great for filming. As far as insides, they should definitely be black in my opinion.

BTW,...I wish we could keep on topic with our responses. The OP was asking about what pop up blinds he should consider,...not asking about the ethics or fairness of using blinds. I hunt with them and without them and I have very specific reasons for using one when I do but we should NOT have to defend ourselves every time this issue comes up.