OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

All that new stuff you bought...

Started by 870FaceLift, May 02, 2012, 09:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

870FaceLift

There was a thread on here a while back before the seasons started rolling about all the new products that everybody bought for this year.  Now that everything is in full swing, or winding down, what new stuff that you took in the woods this year worked really well?  What didn't work too well?

I personally tried a number of new things.  Heres a quick rundown of my feedback on new stuff:

Nikon Turkeypro scope: My first turkey scope.  I was impressed with the quality of the scope.  It mounted nice, but I did not like the field of view and never felt comfortable when I practiced shooting in the woods.  I unmounted the scope and will be selling it on here shortly.  The scope itself is really nice, I'm just not a scope type of turkey hunter I guess.
Burris Speedbead: Absolutely love this.  Will never use another setup for the Benelli.
Zink Avian Jake and Lookout Hen: Wish they were made in the U.S.  However, they did bring in some nice public land KY toms for me and my cousins during our trip there.  They are a little heavy.  The carry bag is junk and the strap will tear your first trip out.
Hooks Hootin Stick:  Awesome sounds.  After hearing mine, my cousins went online and bought one.  Love it.

I'm interested to hear what you all tried this year.
Pass it on...

wisconsinteacher

I have some new calls that have all brought birds in.

Hooks bronze glass, Misfire crystal over glass, Mingling alum over glass, and a Lights Out slate over glass.

I also got 2 box calls.  A long box from Spring Creek and a short box from   Ferocious Calls.

All 6 calls have brought birds in close and sound great.  

dirt road ninja

I used a Gobbler Lounger this year and loved it. Not sure how I got by without one. If they would make a carbon fiber light weight one, I'd be the first in line for it.
Also, used a custom crow call for the first time, struck many gobbles with it. Other than that, it was all the same stuff. Maybe a few new mouth calls, but I buy those every year.

I did switch from 6 HTL to 7's and it smacked the heck out of them.

TauntoHawk

Man I don't even know, I went a little crazy this year.

6 boxes of Hevi 3-2-6's

Decoy: Zink Jake to go with my hen and a double decoy bag from ushuntinggear.com

Sumtoy choke

For Pot calls I got a Halloran twisted sister, hooks assassin aluminum, lights out osage slate, Yingling copper over glass, stone road ceramic, a slate over glass and a single slate my buddy Jamie Novak made for me

Box call I got a purpleheart, mesquite, cedar short box from Ray shields of Kattskill mountain calls... my first custom box and I really like it, plan on getting a few more next year from some call makers on here.   

Mouth calls probably over a dozen less than 50 haha. For Hooks, Halloran, Houndstooth, Scott Ellis, Cane Creek, Tom Teaser, a couple of signature calls, and Joe at Mother Lode made me some customs to my exact specifications

Strikers, I got ebony, dymondwood, purpleheart, cocolobo, yellowheart, paduak, ivory tipped, carbon, hickory, Osage from various call makers here.

Tried a primos and Under armor face mask, really like the UA one, gloves with conductive thread so I can still surf oldgobbler while hunting with my iphone haha

Hale fire gobble call, not in use

Joe Slaton amplifier and custom gobble mouth calls which have been awesome once I got it down

Then a bunch of stuff that isn't specifically for turkey hunting like socks, camo, some new boots a really neat set of shooting sticks that worked also for my youth hunters. Thing that can be used for deer hunting too I just happened to get them inbetween deer and turkey season.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gamblinman

After years of using Woodhaven diaphrams, I switched to Hooks with the larger tape. 12 birds have fallen to Hooks calls so far this year, and more to come. I am a definite believer

Sorry Woodhaven, but I've switched and ain't lookin back.

Next to try is the bronze glass. If it's as good as there mouth calls, My crystal mistress and my cherry crystal will be up for sale.

Almost forgot the used Max Gobbler I picked up. With the .660 Jellyhead and Nitro 7's, it's a turkey killin machine, and that Knoxx stock makes it a dream to shoot.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Borat

Quote from: Gamblinman on May 02, 2012, 10:41:10 AM
After years of using Woodhaven diaphrams, I switched to Hooks with the larger tape. 12 birds have fallen to Hooks calls so far this year, and more to come. I am a definite believer

Sorry Woodhaven, but I've switched and ain't lookin back.

I too switched from Woodhaven to Hooks this year.  I felt that Woodhaven was selling an inconsistent product that was considerably overpriced.  I can say with certainty that Hooks are the finest mouth calls I've had the pleasure of running in the turkey woods.  Many have died, and many more are living on credit!

lonnie sneed jr.

All I bought was some new boot strings and some t.p. The strings is holding up good and the t.p. has work very good.  I do have a new tube call on order. Should get it, in time for the last week of season. I like to gobble to locate. Hope I will be out of tags by the last week.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

jblackburn

Muck Ranger Boots - Light, comfortable, easy to walk in but they are HOT!
Under Armor Heat Gear Socks - the best socks I have ever worn, make the muck boods a pleasure to wear
Limbhanger vest - lots of pockets for all my junk, comfortable, a bit heavy
Rem 870/Indianc Creek/hevi shot - still have not killed one with this combo, shot the heck out of paper.  For some reason I find it hard to put down my 835 and winchester lead 6s

Gooserbat Bacon diaphragm call  - I put this down here because I did not buy it since I am on Sam's staff, but he has a winner here!  Five of the six birds that I have been killed that I called in have been with it.  Sam and the other staffers have called/killed a bunch with it.  I think it might be the best call he builds.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

fountain2

Cd 20 ga auto- works well and kills great

Tss 9s- same as above...and I was very skeptical,  but not now.   5 down with it so far

Sumtoy choke for 20 and 835-  great patterns and deadly in the woods

Dead ringer sight- my wife hates red dots and saw this thing in Nashville and loved it.  I do too now..good little sight

Hevi 13 7s- work as well in the woods as the did on the range.

Zink feeder hen- looks great and works well...several video clips to prove it

No new calls or vest or clothes....yet

ohiostrutter

Bought a new 870 super mag spec turkey absolutley love this gun best turkey gun ive ever used.   
Also switched to h13 7s a deadly combo with the factory 870 choke also found some h13 6s in woo ga 2 3/4 for my daughter
next year planning on some dsd decoys and some custom calls

Crappiepro

Well I tell ya what I got. LOL. I got a used Avery Power Seat. I posted here and asked what everyone thought about it if they owned one. I was able to buy a used one from a member here( Thanks Wendel). This is a really nice seat. The legs are rounded tube and will not sink as bad as the regular style four legged seats. Very, very comfortable.  It was a great buy!!
2nd, I bought a Mueller Quick Shot and got to use it this year on my bird. I loved it!!!!
3rd, I bought a Primos JellyHead choke for my 835 Ulti-mag and used that on my bird this year. Straight Smoked'em!!
Thats about it that I bought and used. I already had my Mike Yingling Spalted Maple/ slate from last year and "Yeah" it took part in my bird this year too.

Nolehoe

received a cabelas Gobbler Lounger (b-day) that its an awesome back saver, have set in it for hours with no decrease in' comfort; hard to stay awake in it.

Danner pronghorn snake boots, nice boots but bought them a half size to big. Fine for flat ground buy slide around alot in the hilly country with lots of logs and limbs to step over

Cabelas TCS   leafy suit, well made and looks great, but wish it came in MO Obsession, its supposed to be seclusion but is darker than other things I've seen in' seclusion, its mostly brown.

Gooserbat hillbilly, houndstooth dx3 and bat cut, all three are great but the one with the bat wing cut is my favorite, its the most well rounded.

The Haint, I like it and believe it was instrumental in taking the only goblet I got this year.

Halloran Crystal Mistress, sounds great hasnt talked any into riding in the truck yet.

Lights Out, alum/yellow heart on order

Hooks hoot tube-osage fixin to be on order

Some other misc stuff like gloves headnets
Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Henshaw

Well I've been reading and learning off this site for awhile, I thought the only polite thing to do was to join and thank you all for your help. This was my first year hunting turkeys and I tagged out with 3 birds. They were all jakes but I did it on my own and figured it out myself. Couldn't of been more happy with my birds. Thank you all again.
Hevi 13 Turkey choke (For my beretta extrema II)
Hevi 13 3.5 mag blends ( out here in Cali you can't find the 7's)
Zinc's jake and lookout hen. Not real happy with the lookout hen next year will be the feeder. Our birds are super spooky and the lookout hen just didn't sit well with the birds. (All 3 birds were without dekes)
Gobbler lounge (Absolutely loved it)

Tail Feathers

I bought  a Pretty Boy and Pretty Girl set-up.
I used it two mornings in TN.  Had four toms come to it on morning one...but I was out walking around at the time and got busted walking back up to 'em. :character0029:
My Hooks mouth calls did in a couple and I was given a new box call that I didn't get a chance to use this year.

I've slowed up on buying a lot of new stuff.  I find comfort in the old things that work so well for me.  But if my Cabela's Gobbler Lounger
ever breaks on me I'll order another in a heartbeat!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Rapscallion Vermilion

Being my second year, almost everything I used was new.

Gobbler Lounger;  much better than the seat I used last year. Very comfortable. Took a couple naps in it. I wish it came in Bottomland camo.  I'm going to try making a Bottomland slipover for the back.

Crystal Mistress and one piece purpleheart striker;  accounted for my first gobbler ever.  See my First Gobbler post.

Danner Grouse boots;  love them. American made.  Replaced my retired pair of 24 years.  I like the new bob soles even better than the old ones. Quieter.

Mossy oak camo in Treklite;  too bright for my woods. In our darker backgrounds I looked like the human glowworm.  Went back to the cotton blend, which is duller. Would be fine back east.  Going to Bottomland next year.

Harrison Hooks Crow call;  worked great, did the job. Seemed to have plenty of volume.

Harrison Hooks Owl call;  sounds fine, but never raised a gobble; maybe not loud enough. It is usually windy here.