OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Exciting/Sad Day

Started by TRKYHTR, May 01, 2012, 04:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

Today I had one of the best hunts of the season. I was set up on a gobbler 150 yards away, couldn't get any closer, and had at least 3 other birds gobbling off in the distance. At flydown I heard a hen with the gobbler I set up on and when they flew down they went the other direction. I was still hearing turkeys gobble and I was in a good set up. I had my Mama decoy set out on an old dirt road. I called a couple times and got the furthest turkeys to gobble a couple times and then it sounded like one of them was getting closer. I went quiet. After a few minutes of silence I called again. 2 birds gobbled back at about 150 yards. Then I really went silent. They gobbled 5 more times in the next 20 minutes while getting closer each time. The last gobble was 30 yards and about blew my hat off. Then I started hearing the spittin and drummin. He finally poked his head up at about 20 yards. I could see his tail real good and it looked like a full fan but I wasn't sure. So I waited. If he followed the same path to the decoy he was going to be in my wheelhouse. I still wasn't sure it was a mature gobbler and I wasn't going to shoot a Jake. After what seemed like forever he came into full view but was quartering away slightly. I still hadn't seen a beard. My crosshairs were on his head, then I looked over the scope to see if I could see a beard. Nothing yet. He was inching one small step at a time towards the decoy, spitting and drumming with every little inch. It seemed like he was inside 20 yards for 20 minutes. Finally he turned straight broadside to me and I saw his long beard. I settled the crosshairs on his head at 15 yards and with the recoil of my buddies gun I ended my 2012 turkey season. He was a beautiful turkey with 9 3/4" beard, and 7/8" spurs. The Medusa turned him to stone. Another season is in the books. I was only going to kill one turkey with my buddy Marvin's Remington 870 but decided I would take it the whole season. I killed 5 gobblers with it and my best turkey ever. Don't know if I want to retire it now. I might just retire my Benelli. I hope everybody has as wonderful an end to their season as I did.

TRKYHTR

Looking forward to next year already.
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Wrangler95

Very nice going,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

FANMAN

Congrats. on a great season ,Joe , I'm glad you could honor Marvin in that way.

Gold Spur

Congrats on a great season Joe!  :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Spring_Woods

Congrats! Enjoyed the story
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Flydown

Great read Joe, and congrats on a action packed season!!!

stone road turkey calls

thanks for the pics and storys this year, like being there with you
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

vaturkey

Congrats Joe on an awesome season ! Beautiful pics !  :icon_thumright:

Take Care

Hope to see you next Feb . @ the convention.

Ricky   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

hookedspur

Congrats and thanks for allowing us to enjoy it with you . :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

mossy835

Nice hunt for you this year, as to the shotgun I would not retire it completely but use it each year in his honor.

TRKYHTR

Quote from: vaturkey on May 01, 2012, 05:08:54 PM

Congrats Joe on an awesome season ! Beautiful pics !  :icon_thumright:

Take Care

Hope to see you next Feb . @ the convention.

Ricky   :newmascot:

Yep I might need another ride. Lol Thanks,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

renegade19

Beautiful bird Joe!  Congrats!

sugarray

I too know the sweet seductive ways of the Medusa.  She sure can put one in a trance.

Great hunt and a great season!!

Congratulations!!

Shotgun

Congrats on an awesome year

surehuntsalot

beautiful pic's
congrats on the bird
it's not the harvest,it's the chase