turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tru Glo Choke Porting

Started by WyoHunter, April 29, 2012, 04:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHunter

I just bought a Tru Glo TG155 (.643) for my Beretta M303 to try out. I bought it off of ebay for a good price. It was new in the package but you could tell it had been in the store for a while. It's marked Tru Glo by Mark Bansner TG155. I noticed the porting is different from some I've seen pics of on the web. Anyone have info about the differences in porting ( no of ports, angle of ports, etc.) or in general about this choke?
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: WyoHunter on April 29, 2012, 04:05:19 PM
I just bought a Tru Glo TG155 (.643) for my Beretta M303 to try out. I bought it off of ebay for a good price. It was new in the package but you could tell it had been in the store for a while. It's marked Tru Glo by Mark Bansner TG155. I noticed the porting is different from some I've seen pics of on the web. Anyone have info about the differences in porting ( no of ports, angle of ports, etc.) or in general about this choke?

The Bansner produced turkey chokes for Truglo are some of the most sought after chokes today. They have an almost cult following and rarely does anyone part with one.

The ports have a "forward angle" to them and you'll be able to see what it does to wads when you shoot one.

When you look inside the choke you will not see anything that looks particularly unique. I would urge you to really clean that choke with some good strong solvent, even lacquer thinner and a good brass/bronze brush but I'd also urge you not to use any polish or a brush on a drill to try to make it smoother inside. Everything about that choke was done intentionally to produce optimum patterns. I would recommend against trying to change it in any way to make it better.

Unless my memory of that particular choke is incorrect, and it could easily be, I think it has a much larger exit diameter than .643. It may be .655 or .665, I honestly can't recall.

Lastly, if you ever want to part with that choke tube, please let me know.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

WyoHunter

Clark.... I was hoping you would reply. I checked the Truglo site and it gave .643 as the choke. I don't have anyway to mike the inside of the choke but the diameter at the end of the ports mikes .665. Would the inside choke diameter be the same as the exit diameter? As soon as the wind dies down up here in WY I'm going to pattern some Hevi-13 7's with it.  Thanks again Clark!

WyoHunter

mikejd

Clark, If you are interested in this choke there is someone on ebay right now selling some new in package old stock.

Skeeterbait

Large angle porting much like a Kick's choke.  The angle leaves a sharp inside edge at the bottom of the port that does a good job of grabbing the wad and slowing it down on a Kick's choke.  Except for maybe a chamfered edge on the exit lip, the inside walls should be parallel I would think.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: WyoHunter on April 29, 2012, 09:00:58 PM
Clark.... I was hoping you would reply. I checked the Truglo site and it gave .643 as the choke. I don't have anyway to mike the inside of the choke but the diameter at the end of the ports mikes .665. Would the inside choke diameter be the same as the exit diameter? As soon as the wind dies down up here in WY I'm going to pattern some Hevi-13 7's with it.  Thanks again Clark!

On that Bansner choke the diameter at the muzzle is the same as the parallel section and the ported section is the 'true muzzle". The ports are an integral part of the design of the choke tube.

On the SSX the "true muzzle" is .643 and it opens up in the ported section to over .670. The ports are not intended to influence the performance of the choke.

Choke designers all have differences of opinion on what makes a choke tube work best.

I also appreciate the tip. I'll take a look on ebay and see what's there.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."