OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Price for hunting at an outfitter

Started by Dbrnmllr, April 29, 2012, 10:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dbrnmllr

Does anybody hunt turkeys at an outfitter and what do you pay/ what's included. Looking primarily in Iowa but am interested in information anywhere for comparison.  Thanks

matchbook454

It really depends on where you go, what they offer, etc..  I've found somee very reasonable hunts here in IL for $350 including lodging and are not just 3 day hunts but last the entire duration of your tag (usually 5-7 days).  Lodging isn't great but it's warm, dry, and has cooking utensiles, etc.  On the other end I have paid $1000 for 3 day hunts with meals and lodging.  Here again, nothing too fancy but comfortable.  I have then seen other hunts go for $1500 to $2000 for Merriams, and Rio hunts where you are allowed 2 or 3 birds.  If you're looking for an Osceola, expect to pay $1600 plus. 

Dbrnmllr

Thanks for the info.  Primarily just looking for Iowa, but great info to know.

mudhen

The places I have used in Iowa are $600+- for a 3-day self-guided hunt, and a bit more for guided.  The price of a tag & license has really taken the wind out of my desire to ever hunt Iowa for turkeys again, but we just spend last weekend there visiting our club, and I must admit, there is something special about those fat Iowa Easterns!!!

If an outfitter was around $300 for a 3-day hunt in Iowa, I would expect a success rate of well below 50%...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

TauntoHawk

If you shop around I'd say 450-700 for easterns in most states to be a fair price for a 3 day semi guided hunt
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jk6140

We just got back from NE.  It was 1260 including tax for 2 birds, meals and lodging for 3 days.  We could have shot a 3rd bird for 250 plus our tag, but the weather was turning bad and we had an 18 drive home.  Their success rate is 100%.  We bagged 9 birds in 2 full days of hunting.