turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Good 20 for Turkey gun?

Started by gobblerroller, April 27, 2012, 09:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblerroller

I'm looking to buy a 20 gauge and then modify it specifically for turkeys. What would you guys get for a good base gun?
Hunt while you can. You don't have forever...

goblr77

870 youth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrowningGuy88

You have several options. I will list some below, but you will have to decide for yourself which one is worth the money and feels right to you!

Remington 11-87 21" or 26" barrel
Remington 870 21" or 26" barrel
Mossberg 500 Super Bantam - several barrel lengths
Winchester SX3
Benelli M2
Benelli Nova
TC Pro Hunter

I run the 21" barreled 870 and it is a stone cold killer with Hevi 6's and Winchester lead 5's. All of the above guns will flat dirt nap a turkey to on past 40 with the right set up. It is up to you what you are willing to spend to get what you want. Personally if I went and bought another 20 gauge tomorrow it would be the M2 with a 26" barrel and I would get SumToy Customs to make me a choke to shoot Fed HWT 7's and never look back.

There will be some other guys along with some good advice!

Daman

mossyoakpro

I just jumped on the 20 train myself....I went with the 11-87 Remmy 26" and sent it to Rob Roberts for the forcing cone and trigger work.

I am gonna stick a SSX in the barrel and shoot Fed HW #7's as soon as it gets back from it's Mossy Oak spa treatment  :z-guntootsmiley:
Phillippians 4:13

gobblergls

The 870 may be easier to find than the Super Bantam.  However, the Mossy is available in camo and drilled and tapped for scope/reflex sight mounts.  The 870 is probably less expensive, but if you have it dipped, drilled and tapped the Mossy wins expense-wise.  The Super Bantam is also lighter.  I bought mine several years ago off of gunbroker for about $325, but shipping and FFL costs added another $50.  After hunting it with TSS 9s, I won't go back to a 12 gauge.

remmy1187

Went with 870's with adjustable stocks so my daughters can use them too. One has an ATI stock and the other has a Knoxx NRS.  With the adjustable stocks anyone can use these guns and they make for awesome back-up guns for me.  I am wanting the 11-87 in all camo sometime down the road, but for now the 870's rock!

surehuntsalot

I'm looking for one of the Mossberg SA-20 auto's to set up
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

old frank

I went with the 870 youth express, adding a shur-shot stock and a red dot sight.

Great gun.

63beards

winchester sx3 & heavyweight #7. I killed a tom at a tape measured 51 yds. Sunday morning with this combo, videoed it, wouldn't normally take that kinda shot but actually didn't think he was quite that far and he had already seen me and was getting nervous. flattened him, 20 ga is all i'll ever shoot from now on.
71 beards

savduck

I ran a weatherby sa08 this season. I fell in love with it. Totally rigged out for under 600.00.

3 super dead birds with Fed 7 s.
Georgia Boy

hookedspur

Benelli M2 with Indian Creek 555
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

WildTigerTrout

I like my Benelli "Nova". It has full camo, 24" barrel, Tru-Glo FO sights , sling and a Primos "Tightwad" choke. I shoot Win. Supreme 3" HV 1 5/16oz. #5.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

bigredneck61088

I have a Mossberg grand slam 20 ga, 22 inch barrel fully camo, and a factory Mossberg turkey choke. It gets about 25 head and neck hit at 40 yards and very consistent. Might be worth looking at however i haven't killed a bird with it yet. I use it as my backup gun.