OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Reminton Ventilator Chokes

Started by tha bugman, April 27, 2012, 05:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

Can I shoot HTL in this choke safely?

MUSHCREEK

I know folks that have/do with no problems. I think Remington says they will shoot their HTL loads as well.

fallsflight

Yup! For the money, you can't beat it.

tha bugman

the reason i asked was that it says lead shot.only on.the choke

fallsflight

Yeah those chokes were made before Hevi was out and they didn't want people shooting steel shot through it.

tha bugman

Kewl so i guess i vam shoot htl out of it just not steel??

allaboutshooting

Quote from: tha bugman on April 29, 2012, 06:44:32 AM

Most steel shot is 110 on the DPH (Diamond Pyramid Hardness scale) and Hevi-Shot is 220.

A "lead only" choke tube is normally made from non-hardened steel, hopefully from bar stock but there is no requirement to disclose that. The steel used in the choke tube may be softer than the shot.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 29, 2012, 09:25:56 AM
Quote from: tha bugman on April 29, 2012, 06:44:32 AM

Most steel shot is 110 on the DPH (Diamond Pyramid Hardness scale) and Hevi-Shot is 220.

A "lead only" choke tube is normally made from non-hardened steel, hopefully from bar stock but there is no requirement to disclose that. The steel used in the choke tube may be softer than the shot.

Thanks,
Clark

Good info Clark;
Therefore it doesnt sound like a good idea.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

ILIKEHEVI-13

I know guys that have shot a lot of different loads that sure aren't lead only out of a Rem Super Full .665 and have yet to have a problem.  That Ventilator choke was made after the .665 Rem Super Full if that tells you anything.  I have not heard of one incident of anyone having any issues with the Ventilator choke shooting Hevi-13 loads.   That choke is an awesome lead or Hevi-13 choke.  But again if you want to go by the old choke label before all the hype with Hevi-13 and choke approval then go buy a choke that will say Hevi-Shot approved if it will make you feel any better.  I use it and it works great.  My buddy's son, Spencer, killed a 23lb bird last week with Hevi-13 and my Ventilator choke.  Spencer said it worked great. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Maybe this will lay the myths of the Ventilator choke that some may wish to spread on here to rest once and for all. 

http://www.nighthawkpublications.com/journal/journal139-5.htm

ILIKEHEVI-13

Just to make sure you read the last one correctly. 

QUESTION: What after-market choke tubes are suitable for use with Hevi-Shot?
ANSWER: Any choke tube that is manufactured from high-quality steel, such as stainless, should be acceptable for use with Hevi-Shot. Choke tube manufacturers such as Rhino, Patternmaster, Carlson's, Truglo and Trulock offer turkey choke tubes that are suitable for use with Hevi-Shot.

lowoctane

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 30, 2012, 11:59:05 PM
Maybe this will lay the myths of the Ventilator choke that some may wish to spread on here to rest once and for all. 

http://www.nighthawkpublications.com/journal/journal139-5.htm

:toothy9: :thanks: :toothy9:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

3" 870 Shell Shucker

There sure is a lot of metal in the .655 Ventilator choke.  The ports are small and pretty far apart, and the metal is nice and thick. 

I like the Ventilator with Lead loads myself.  It has given me nice even 13" to 15" patterns in my 870.  Nice even coverage.  I plan to keep mine.  My .665 IC BDS will usually give me better 10" numbers, but the total 13" to 15" coverage is almost always more even from the Ventilator.

ILIKEHEVI-13

The 10" numbers with the Hevi-13 3" #7 loads have been better with the Venitlator vs the Indian Creek chokes I had or the Pure Gold I still have. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

It's hard to top this in a 3" shell of 7's at a tape measure 40yds.  That's an 11"x11" piece of paper.