turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

You know what ticks me off in the turkey woods

Started by OLE RASPY, April 26, 2012, 09:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLE RASPY

Super Jakes gobblin.These birds were gobblin and i would have put money on it that they were at least 2 year olds and they arent making a move cuz they got hens.I put the stalk on them and yep they were jakes.Could have shot one but i passed. :angry9:

RutnNStrutn

Been there, seen that!! You get your hopes up, then you see that jake fan!! GRRRRRRR!!!!! :lol:

Skeeterbait

I tend to think that is a sign that a mature gobbler is not in the area.  For instance, I killed a good gobbler last Saturday that had been using an old log loading ground as a strutting area.  Two days later two jakes were in the loading ground and one was trying to gobble and strutt.  Hadn't seen or heard these jakes before the old bird was killed. I think if a jake is gobbling it is a sign that he knows there is little chance of getting a flogging.

dirt road ninja

Lots of our jakes gobble. When I hear 3 or more birds together I figure them for jakes. Got some good cell phone video of 5 jakes attacking a 3 year old I shot opening weekend. They were strutting and gobbling as the pecked and scratched my dead bird. There was also another big bird in the area that wouldn't come in, but was lighting it up about 80 yards away.

vtmchunter

I'm not too picky.  If a jake has enough nerve to gobble, I shoot him.

Several years ago, we had 7 gobblers roosting along about 300 yards of field edge sounding off one morning.  There were a few decent ones in the group.  Didn't get a single one of them that morning, but it was fun to hear.  Never heard them together again.  Usually just one or two.  They must have had a mandatory conference or something that day, gobble jam session or something.  No hens around either.

Turkey Beard

Same thing happened to me 2 days in a row.  Saw him the 2nd day.  Was still opening week or he'd have been taking a ride!
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

tomstopper

I would have shot him. If he wants to act like a big boy, I would have treated him like one. They taste just as good.

nantzh

Worlds biggest let down to me. 
Wednesday morning i was set up on a field edge and had a couple birds hammering on their way in, and it turned out to be 3 jakes.  They strutted and gobbled around my stutter decoy forever, one almost got an arrow buy i was able to hold off.

TauntoHawk

I love Super Jake.... when I have a youth hunter that will bust him for it

IF they strutt and gobble my youth hunters will always get the go ahead  :gobble: :fud: and they could careless how big the spurs are

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jakesdad

Sounds like my season here in MO.Several times i've struck birds mid morning with the big ol' boomin lonely gobble.Cover ground in a hurry gobblin like crazy.Safety off bearin down and up from the weeds pops a 3-4 beard and a few tall tail feathers in the middle of that fan.only good news is that we oughta be loaded with 2 yr olds next yr,and itll be the first year my oldest can hunt.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

dlquinn

Quote from: tomstopper on April 27, 2012, 12:12:02 PM
I would have shot him. If he wants to act like a big boy, I would have treated him like one. They taste just as good.

My thoughts exactly...
NRA-STAND AND FIGHT

Trevor2

Call me Ill give one a ride for ya lol the way my season is going im busting the next bearded turkey to stumble by lol
Strutstopper

Hookhunter

You know the difference between a fried jake sandwich and a fried gobbler sandwich........  me neither!!!  Lol. 

Justin
Yelp,yelp,yelp.. Gobble, BOOM!!!! Flop,flop,flop

HARDCORE

Quote from: Hookhunter on April 27, 2012, 02:55:11 PM
You know the difference between a fried jake sandwich and a fried gobbler sandwich........  me neither!!!  Lol.  

Justin

"Hookhunter" just referencing your screen name.

Btw, you know the difference between a jake and a mature gobbler............ I do, spurs!!!   Lol  

Just messin with you, the screen name and your reply made me do it.   ;D ;D

You made the right decision Raspy.  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

HC  

Flydown

Heck Raspy, it could be worse. Some people are complaining about hitting the woods and not hearing a dang thing! You made the right call dude. We had a few jakes come in on us this morning and I just had to pull the trigger. Just used a camera. I cant stand the thought of shooting next years gobbling fools, with jewelry! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D