Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

VA gobbler down, my first time out, my first bird!

Started by weave, April 26, 2012, 05:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weave

Went out the morning of the 16th; my first time ever hunting turkey.  Went solo, and self-filmed.  I wish I had more footage but my tripod sucks (wobbly) so I had to leave it stationary.

Not sure how to embed videos here yet, but check out the short clip.  

Got to the farm 30 mins before sunrise, set out the dekes and got the video camera setup.

As soon as the sun started to rise, he was already gobbling before I did a thing, which got my blood pumping early. With that, the back and fourth battle began. I would call, he would gobble, over and over we played chess for almost an hour. I would go from the slate, then to the box, and then my diaphragm call. At one point, he sounded like he was heading away.....so I went from the diaphragm back to the box. That was the magic he wanted today. On the second series of calls, he was closer than he had been all morning. I hit the call again, and he gobbled before I could even finish the series. He was getting closer and closer as each series progressed. Once i heard he was finally off to my left and on my side of the pond, I knew he was coming to the field edge. It was on!!!

At a few minutes before 7AM, he came into the dekes, strutting his stuff. I let him parade around for maybe a minute, then decided I needed to take care of business. He had moved back from the DSD jake enough and stuck his head out right where I wanted it. BOOM, the Benelli SBE II sounded off and it was over. Check mate and the victory this day was mine.

He weighed 19.10lbs, almost 11" beard, and 7/8" spurs

chatterbox

weave

guesswho

Congrats on your first bird.

Don't worry, it get's easier.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

beagler

Never Misses

neal

Quote from: guesswho on April 26, 2012, 06:09:10 PM
Congrats on your first bird.

Don't worry, it get's easier.

:TooFunny:

Congrats on a nice bird!!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Spring_Woods

Congrats!
First time? You should buy a lottery ticket!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

weave

Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 26, 2012, 06:35:24 PM
Congrats!

Yup, and I was like....this ain't too bad! 

guesswho

Quote from: weave on April 26, 2012, 06:43:23 PM
Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 26, 2012, 06:35:24 PM
Congrats!

Yup, and I was like....this ain't too bad! 
:TooFunny:
Welcome to the addiction!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

handcannon

Buy a ticket in my name too. It took me nearly four seasons hunting by myself before I killed my first bird. Congratulations on your first bird. I wish you many more in the future.

Fun, ain't it? Nothing like that adrenaline rush when it's time to take off the safety.

weave

Quote from: handcannon on April 26, 2012, 07:20:30 PM
Buy a ticket in my name too. It took me nearly four seasons hunting by myself before I killed my first bird. Congratulations on your first bird. I wish you many more in the future.

Fun, ain't it? Nothing like that adrenaline rush when it's time to take off the safety.

It was more of a rush than I ever anticipated.....I am so hooked

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

jakebird

Congrats! My deepest sympathies to your wife or gf, family, golf buddies, and prob your employer, too.  :) you're an addict now, friend!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

weave

Quote from: jakebird on April 26, 2012, 07:57:10 PM
Congrats! My deepest sympathies to your wife or gf, family, golf buddies, and prob your employer, too.  :) you're an addict now, friend!

LOL...you must know me :)

My wife is NOT happy with the cash outflow, my constant calling practice, my ground blind, my decoys, new camo, turkey vest, new choke, new ammo, nonstop videos and web sites, etc, etc.

Cannot sleep...drive looking in the fields more than the road......dream of birds.

Like I said, I got it bad

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Ky strutt n bust n

bet that lifts a ton off your chest! way to go congrats