OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First bird

Started by rev, April 26, 2012, 05:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rev

Got my first bird without any help, thanks to all of the advise here on old gobbler,
Fought that bird since 7:00 he went down at 11:08 , longest chess match I have ever been in,
Shaking so bad at the end I barely got my tag filled out,  had to look at my drivers lic  to see how to spell my name right, 1 1/2 hr drive home and was still breathing hard when I walk in the door, after carrying that bird out for almost a 1 1/2 miles, man, I was beat, next time I'm calling from the TRUCK!
21 lbs, 9 inch beard, 21mm spurs,

M,Yingling

Thats good bird,,, Way to stick with it  :icon_thumright:  Congrats
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

remmy1187

Way to go rev, now your hooked!  Congrats, sounds like a good bird and hunt.

handcannon

Sounds like you got a little excited over it. That's the way they should all be. It's a great feeling. Congratulations on your first bird.

antnye

Very nice!!! Got my first all by myself too. Its like that every singe time for me!!!

tomstopper

Congrats. Welcome to the addiction.  :turkey2:

DirtNap647

Deputy 14

stone road turkey calls

Good job Greg, now go get anouther one.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

weave

Congrats

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Wrangler95

Very nice going,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

VAHUNTER

congrats bud  :icon_thumright:
the excitement is what it is all about!!
Good things come to those who wait

Crappiepro

Congrats fellow HOOSIER!! Thats the way to stay with it! That shaking and heavy breathing will never go away LOL. I love it!!

rev

Thanks, I have truly learned a lot from this forum, special thanks to Stone Road turkey call,
2 Bird flew down at 7:00 gobbling their heads off,they would cut my calls off, but would not cross the fence into the open fields, As I talked to them for about an hour, I listened as they gobbles off, I knew the direction they were going so I backed off slow then racered to the ridge I thought they would be headed to. I beat them by about 100 yards, but could not get them to pop over a small ridge, since this was my first time hunting by myself I was afraid to make a move closer, they would stop 25 yards from me then move away to about 50 then come back, and forth for about a 1/2 hr, finally walking off quietly, I'm mean this bird was so close, I had the safety off 3 different times,I'm shaking, my glasses are steamed up,I was bummed, had to walk back to get my back pack and other things I had to strip off to get to the ridge first,  walked back down the hill. Threw back a big gatoraid, a few snacks and a quick nap,
About 10:30 I heard him gobble from where he was this morning,
I remembered reading here that after the hens go back to the nest, the toms will go back to the spot were they heard me this morning, since I was close to the ridge I took a chance that they were heading there, got set up with scrub brush weeds on my left and open woods in front of me and to my right,
I remembered not to over call, this bird was on a string,coming fast, his last gobble was right behind me, the last place I thought he would go, got the gun swung around the safety was off and the red dot scope was on already, as soon as I looked for the bird, I made a small chrip, his blue head popped up, when I looked through the scope his head was already lined up with the red dot, Game over,

Now, here is my problem, that I need advice,  I stopped by the farmers home to thank him for letting me hunt his land,
He asked me if I would take his buddies 15 yrd old son hunting to get his first bird,
Now the pressure is on, this is going to be harder then getting my first bird, know what?

Roostem33

Good job, congratulations!!!
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)