turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Michigan Gobbler down

Started by mcgruff1533, April 25, 2012, 01:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgruff1533

After chasing this bird for the past 3 days, my patience and a bit of luck worked to my favor.     I put him to bed last night and figured he would fly down into a nearby field where I had my decoys set.  

Needless to say, Mr. Gobbles did not fly down to the location I hoped he would.    Instead, he flew approximately 150 yards to a fenceline and then walked into a neighboring cut corn field.

Thankfully he walked into a slight depression which allowed me to sneak out of my blind and then use a dry creekbed/ tree line as cover.     After watching this bird for 3 days, I had a pretty good idea where he was going to end up.      I used the treeline as cover and set up an ambush point for Mr. Gobbles.    He worked his way to my location about 20 minutes later but was about 60 yards out in the field.     I used my Lights Out Anodized Aluminum/ Bubinga pot call with Dymondwood striker to bring him in a bit closer.    At what I figured was 35-40 yards, I let loose a load of Hevi 13 #6's and flattened the bird at 37 yards.    

He weighed 19.5 pounds and had a 10" beard with 1" spurs.     I think this is the same Tom that a neighbor fired 3 rounds at but missed on Monday.

Hognutz

Congrats on the nice gobbler..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

JPD298

mcgruff1533

chatterbox

Well done mcgruff!!!! Way to think out of the box!!!! :icon_thumright:

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

tomstopper

boomer

Congrats!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

archery1

Take a kid hunting

870supermagnum

kamski1151

way to go.......I go after my Michigan bird on 4-30 - 5-6

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

briancady

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

jellyhead48

Patience pays off.  Congrats  :fud:    :OGani: