OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need help deciding on a .22 rifle **Picture added and decision made**

Started by bird, April 25, 2012, 10:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bird

Was thinking of getting a .22 rifle and was leaning more towards a semi auto. Which .22 rifle and which model would you prefer to own?

Marlin
Remington
Savage
Winchester
Ruger
Other

Hognutz

It's hard to beat the 10-22 Ruger. Good price, extremely dependable, lots of add-ons available. I own two of them and have never had a problem.

If I was to get a bolt action, I would lean towards Savage. They have come a long way..Best trigger on the market.

If I went lever action, it would be the Marlin 39A. I own one of these, also.. Great gun..

Just a few thoughts.. Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

jellyhead48

Look into a 17 HMR!   i have a remington 22lr semi auto and a savage 17 HMR and the 22 never leaves the house.  A little more pricey to shoot but the extra power is great.

bird

Quote from: jellyhead48 on April 25, 2012, 11:01:40 AM
Look into a 17 HMR!   i have a remington 22lr semi auto and a savage 17 HMR and the 22 never leaves the house.  A little more pricey to shoot but the extra power is great.

I already have a Savage 17HMR and am very happy with it.  I also have a Ruger 22/45 and am very happy with it also.  I am looking for opinions on a .22 rifle perferably a semi automatic.

Thank You

bird

Grunt-N-Gobble

I have a Marlin semi-auto and have had it since i was a teenager.  Can't even begin to tell you how many shots have been through it.  It's accurate enough with the cheap ammo and does better with higher quality shells.

Cleaning the action is easy enough and the breakdown is simple.  As with all semi autos, it does get dirty and can cause some problems, but when its clean, she runs great.

If you want a fun plinking gun, this one fits the bill.

jblackburn

I have had a marlin model 60 for years.  It is a good shooting gun and I have taken a bunch of rabbits and squirrels with it. The Ruger 10-22 is hard to beat, too.

My next 22 is going to be a Henry lever action!  They are sweet handling, accurate guns!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Dinger

My vote goes to the Ruger 10-22 and the Marlin 39A.   :z-guntootsmiley:

hoyt

I've had several over the yrs. and like the Marlin Model 60 the best. Although it does have a terrible trigger. I called in a killed quiet a few gobblers way back when it was legal in Ga. I'd shoot them in the wing butt and never had one flop more than 5ft. I like them because they hold about 14 or 15 long rifle cartridges and shoot good enough to hit a squirrel in the head up in the trees.

remmy1187

Totally agree with Hognutz on the 10-22.  All kinds of accessories and upgrades you can do to these rifles.

Mailman

I have a marlin model 60. Have had it since I was 19. Bought it cheap new for $55.00. Very Good gun for the money. Have had no problems with it. I'll bet I've put over 1000 rounds through it.
One Shot One Kill

stone road turkey calls

Marlin lever action, and leave it the way it comes
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

LAWRENCE BOY

Check out CZ
they have some nice bolt action
.22's
Gobble
Gobble

BOOM

archery1

SAVAGE OR REMMY
WHAT EVER FITS IN YOUR HANDS GOOD
AND THE PRICE TAG AGREES WITH UR WALLET
Take a kid hunting

catdaddy

A while back I was in the market for a real tack driver 22. I was speaking with the Savage rep at a gun show and after telling him what I wanted, he leaned over and whispered in my ear " Go check out the Marlin 880 SQ"  I was a bit taken aback that I would get this advise from a Savage rep but I followed his advance and eventually bought one. He was right---it is a squirrel killing machine.

Tail Feathers

The 10-22 is renowned for it's quality and has tons of accessories but it's so tiny and has such a short stock I'm not sure I'd buy one.

I have a 35 year old Winchester 190 that is the most accurate .22 I've ever handled.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!