OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need help deciding on a .22 rifle **Picture added and decision made**

Started by bird, April 25, 2012, 10:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

I can't recommend Marlin since I had a model 60 and it was a jam queen.  I never could get it to work right.  But I know others who have had great luck from them.  I know some guys like the Rem 552 as being one of the most dependable semi-auto 22's.  And like the Ruger 10/22 I had they are both hard on the trigger that you get when you buy them from the store.  That's not to mention the trigger overtravel issues.  That's why I like a bolt action over a semi.  I can tell you that CZ makes one of the most accurate bolt action 22's on the market.  But I don't know much about the Savage semi.  But I do know that Savage button rifles all of their barrels so they should be very accurate.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'll also tell you that most bolt action rifles will have a accuracy advantage over the semi-autos due to the lock up design of the cartridge in the chamber and a tighter chamber as well vs a semi-auto.  I will also tell you if your interested in buying a used semi-auto and can go shoot it that if you can unload the magazine shooting it real fast then it more than likely isn't going to be a jammer and will work fine.  Just something to think about if you do decide to buy one used.  A new one you can't do that with.  

Ruger M77

I have a Remington 597 super accurate and reliable.I wish we could hunt with semi's here in pennsylvania it would make a heck of a squirrel gun. If you like to tinker I'd buy a 10/22 lotsa after market accessories for them
I eat therefore I hunt

tomstopper

bird

Man I tell ya what... our local sporting goods store here really sucks (Scheels).  I went there after work today to look at some .22's and they don't have diddly for 22 rifles.  A little of this and a little of that but their selection was horrible. Then I just happen to over hear a conversation of one of the salesmen telling a guy how the Undertaker choke would be the best choke to put in his new Maxus.  I couldn't stand it anymore and asked the salesman what the constriction was on the choke and he looked at me with a dumbfounded expression.  Like usual I offered up advice when it wasn't asked for but I just hate it when these so called experts talk out their backsides.  I guess there is a reason why I rarely go in that store cuz it just irritates the hell out of me every time I walk in there.... Plus their prices are always so high too.

FL-Boss

I got bought a new 22 mag Henry lever action yesterday. Havent got to shoot it... but it feels real nice. solid gun

NoMoDanSnyder

Quote from: LAWRENCE BOY on April 25, 2012, 02:46:58 PM
Check out CZ
they have some nice bolt action
.22's

+1

CZ American 452 or 455

mossy835

Bird I had one of the first run Ruger 10/22 rifles and never had a jam or misfire (used all brands of shells). Two years ago I gave it to a friend for his daughters to train on and the same thing no issues. I would put the semi auto up against any other brand any time.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I will agree that as far as functionability the 10/22 is probably without question one of the best.  But they come straight from the factory with about a 7 or 8lb trigger.  At least that is about what mine was.  And yes I know a little about triggers.  My Suhl 150 bench gun I had would go down to 2oz.  It was a gem of a trigger.  But not for hunting of course.  They make aftermarket trigger sear kits for the 10/22 but again due to liability reasons is why most semi-auto 22 rimfires have such hard triggers.  It's not like that on the semi-auto deer rifles like the Browning Bar Mark II I had that broke at about 3.5lbs or so.  But that is the only real kicker to the 10/22's that I don't like straight out of the box.  Now they might have improved them somewhat and adjusted them down lower now on the newer ones.  But really a 3 to 4lb trigger is a good and technically safe hunting trigger.  

tiggere

I'm going to go with "other" the CZ 452 American (replaced now by the CZ 455 American) is probably one of the finest .22's on the market period...its super accurate right out of the box...has a great trigger from the factory and with a spring kit can be adjusted all the way down to 3 oz (mine was used for benchrest)...has a beautiful stock and just handles well in the field...

Now if you want to play...a ruger 10/22 highly modified with the firing pin pinned at the 6 o'clock position, the action trued to the new bull barrel, and a trigger job...then do some custom stock work and you can have a real shooter...mine will do 3/8" @ 50 yards with Federal Red Box ammo...never could squeeze that magical 1/4" group out of it...but the CZ will do 1/4" straight out of the box shooting Eley match...

runngun

The CZ's are fine. You also can not go wrong with a Ruger 10 22, they are hard to beat as for as accuracy. The trigger issue can be fixed with a drop in replacement from Cabelas or bass pro. You can also get a gunsmith to get the trigger to the weight you want. Mine is 2.5 pound and deadly accurate.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

bird

Well today I had the day off so I did a little internet researching and then some local searching.  I ended up at Dick's and will have to say that I was very pleased with the young man that took the time to help me there.  I looked at what they had in stock and handled a few and even noticed a couple of models that happened to catch my eye but in the end I narrowed my choices down to the following 3 rifles.

CZ 455 American

Ruger 10/22 Target

Savage Mark II BTV

I also picked out a Nikon Prostaff BDC 3-9X40 scope to top the little .22 with.

So what rifle do you think I went with?  Hint for ya.... I had to order the one I wanted and it should arrive in 7 to 10 days.

bird

guesswho

I have a 10-22 and a 39a.  I like both.  

Out of your choices I'd have to know what your using it for.  I figure it's for shooting turkeys off the roost so I'd go with the 10-22 with quicker follow up shots.  If your target shooting and want a tack driver I'd go with the CZ.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

bird

Quote from: guesswho on April 26, 2012, 07:08:28 PM
I have a 10-22 and a 39a.  I like both.  

Out of your choices I'd have to know what your using it for.  I figure it's for shooting turkeys off the roost so I'd go with the 10-22 with quicker follow up shots.  If your target shooting and want a tack driver I'd go with the CZ.

No roost shootin Ronnie.... Call it a combination varmint shooter and/or Shoot the Zombie in the eye rifle for the wifey!

mossy835

In the case of zombies a no brain er the 10 shot non jam Ruger. But you are full of surprises so we wait until you clue us in?
All three are good fire arms I am just partial to the Ruger.