turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Age this bird

Started by derek, April 25, 2012, 10:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek

May have seen it on my other thread, when I shot it I saw it's beard and thought it was a longbeard.  Then I see it's spurs and fan and think jake.  It was 18lbs 12oz, which is a monster of a jake for the area.  It had a stepped fan and 1/2" nubs for spurs like a jake would have.  But a 7 1/8" main beard thick like an adult bird's would be. 

Any thoughts?  Is it just a jake? 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

strutstopper

Reloader

Super Jake on steroids?

I've killed big toms with nubs and also seen older birds with a jake like fan, but I'd call jake fan and nubs a jake.

gophert

My guess is that it's an early season Jake. (born early last year)  I don't pay too much attention to the beard lengths just because I have found it to be so random.  It's that fan and spurs that to me is the tell tell sign.  

tomstopper

Hognutz

The tail feathers say it all..Nice bird, but still a jake..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

goblr77

jellyhead48

VaTuRkStOmPeR

drenalinld

Would have to hear him gobble...lol

12 months.

Ky strutt n bust n

big ol jake right there!!

blackmagic

Ok, have you guys seen a Jake with a full fan?

RutnNStrutn

I'd say one heck of a jake!! Congrats!!

remmy1187

TauntoHawk

had a youth hunter kill a 19.5lb jake last year with a 6.75" beard thing was a beast of a jake with a cannon of a voice

I killed a gobbler a mile from there that was only 19.1lbs 11.25" beard and 1-3/8" spurs probably a 3 yr old

tough to judge by anything but full fan and spurs even then its not exact
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>