turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#1 piece of advice for us newbies???

Started by marshboy, February 27, 2011, 10:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldMarine

Patience ,Patience, Patience and then wait some more.
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan

jv

Woodsmanship and don't  know if it's been said but patience will kill turkey when nothing else will!
Respect the land as well as the game you hunt.

willy8457

Like all the other guys are saying PATIENCE,  I don't know how many times i sat for long time only to see a gobbler running off after getting up to move . Just because he didn't  Respond doesn't mean he isn't coming.  When you think it's time to go,  Wait i while longer.  Killed lots of birds that never  called back .  Came in silent

scoot12

I am also a fairly new turkey hunter and I have to agree patience is number one.  I have learned that usually the last 100 yards they will come in silent.  The birds I have shot came sneaking in silent after gobbling there heads off until they reached that 75-100 yard mark.  Scoot

redarrow

It ain't rocket science. Don't over complicate it. Considering your success thus far keep on doing what ya been doing.

wisconsinteacher

Have fun!!!!!   A turkey is a turkey every day of the year and we are only turkey hunters for a small % of that so they have the upper hand.  Understand this and have fun and if you kill one it is a plus.  Enjoy nature while out there also.

bird

Pay Attention to everything around you.  Weather, Wind speed and Wind Direction, Temperature, Habitat, Dusting Areas, Roosting Areas, Water Source, Food Source, Travel Areas, Fences and other Obstacles, Other Gods creatures such as horses, cattle, coyotes, hawks etc etc etc.....  basically anything and everything that can alter or dictate the pattern or habit of a wild turkey.  Take mental and written notes of all your experiences that day while out and about but most of all try and learn something each time afield so help you in your quest to tag a wild turkey even if that little detail may seem ever so minor.

Never be afraid to try some new or different.

And of course.... Patience is key to turkey hunting.  I have found one way of learning to be a more patient hunter is to sit back and relax and enjoy what God has given us all to take in out there with Mother Nature.  Look and observe the little things that the majority of mankind overlooks like the large number and varieties of birds, insects and plant life there is around you.  I have found that if you take the time to truly cherish Mother Nature herself that it will help you with the ability to enjoy life and become a more patient person.

Good Thread Steve

Al

Scout24

When hunting roosted birds, set up close and wait till they hit the ground before calling. I used to call while they were in the tree and they'd sit up there and gobble longer and call in other hunters. Patience and woodsmanship will kill you more than perfect calling, and some days they just won't respond, but he may tomorrow. Lastly, don't waste the whole season on an unkillable bird that refuses to work (my buddy did this last year and went birdless), in the long run it's more productive to find a new bird that will work.

chipper

Lern the lay of the land you are hunting intimately, Practice woodsmanship every time your in the woods and be extremely patient.

hookedspur

Quote from: redarrow on February 27, 2011, 01:07:36 PM
It ain't rocket science. Don't over complicate it. Considering your success thus far keep on doing what ya been doing.
Yes .Don't overcall,don't undercall, be patient ,scout all of this is good information but among all of it have FUN and be SAFE ....
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Rio Fan

All lot of great advice has already been given.  This might've already been mentioned, but never give up!  Hunt as long as you can.  I've had numerous days where I didn't get on any birds in the morning, but then was able to strike one and call him in and kill him in the afternoon/evening.  Of course, it helps that I get to hunt until sundown in Washington and Idaho.

Crutch

Enjoy every change at a bird. Tell yourself there is a bird, withing seeing distance, you just have to find him before he finds you. When setting up near a roost, at least throw your call in game once. Getting lucky and having one wonder by is OK, but if you call him in, thats special.  

You need to think on your feet, make good decisions quickly. Mistakes are just part of it. After enough mistakes you will know more about what not to do than most.  Think about what went wrong and what might have worked and what did work and why. Above all, enjoy the challenge.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

RutnNStrutn

- Patience is HUGE! But you also have to push the issue sometimes. The problem is learning when, and that only comes through experience.
- Knowing the lay of the land is also HUGE. Learn the land or you will learn lessons the hard way, I promise you that. We'll all been there and done that.
- Overcall? Undercall? What I would say is that it is all relative. Some guys love to hear themselves call. Some guys call very little. What is right? Only the turkeys know for sure!! I try to do what the turkeys are doing. If they are loud and vocal that day, I'm loud and vocal. If they are quiet and subdued, I tone down my calling.
- If you're not sure if you should do something, be patient for a while, but if he still doesn't come in, do what you were thinking about. Sometimes there is only 1 way to find out if it is right or wrong, and that is to try it. You'll know what to do the next time you're in that situation!
Good luck this spring!!! :anim_25: :turkey2:

Executioner

Listen for the subtle, often overlooked vocalizations turkeys make, like spitting/drumming, and such, sounds that can get overlooked alot. Also, pay attention to crows, as they could be messing around with turkeys when a bunch get together cawing. Use a pair of good binoculars. They are worth their weight in gold in the turkey woods!!!!!!! Learn the terrain of the lands you will be hunting. Don't be afraid to think outside the box. So many people think they have to hunt a certain way to kill turkeys.  Hunt the way that puts meat on the table. Good luck this spring, sounds like you're doing pretty good so far. God bless.
"Confidence in your God given abilities adds more turkeys to your daily limit" Mike Miller "The Turkey Killer" Take delight in the LORD, and He will give you your hearts desires. Psalm 37:4

woodchip

Quote from: knightrider on February 27, 2011, 10:24:12 AM
my kill ratio went way up when i learned to get in close and be sparing with the calling, i get up earlier than most and stay until i have tom in hand or its dark. :anim_25:

:you_rock: