turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#1 piece of advice for us newbies???

Started by marshboy, February 27, 2011, 10:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iowaturkey

Sounds like you're doing pretty good.  Keep up the good work....

GobbleNut

One word...."Dedication".  Every consistently successful turkey hunter I know is dedicated to it.  They dedicate themselves to learning to be the best caller they can be.  They dedicate themselves to learning the habitats of the birds they are hunting.  They dedicate themselves to spending as much time as they can scouting before the season and then hunting hard and long during the season.

Casual hunters kill birds once in a while, but few of them kill birds consistently...unless they just happen to have exclusive access to a turkey gold mine. 

Muskie03

Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

spitndrum

3.5inchpainfulldeath

Quote from: Flydown on February 27, 2011, 12:20:27 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 27, 2011, 12:05:33 PM
1. Pay attention to detail.  "Know whats going on around you at all times."

2. Don't push the issue.  You don't have to kill him in the next five minutes, let him walk off if thats the best option then move on him and try him again.

3. Have fun.  Don't take defeat to serious, it's all part of the game.  Be able to laugh at what just happened.

It sounds like you already have a good idea of whats going on.
Yep all of that! Also, don't take any advice from Camoman. :begging:
agreed.  be patient.  that ol tom will teach you all you need to know about hunting them, and killing them.  hunt often, hunt long.  There is no teacher like experience.

Oh and if camoman asks you to be on his prostaff say no... I heard his Prostaff attire is a pair of nut huggers, a plastic police badge, and pink 5 toes running shoes...

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Executioner on February 27, 2011, 08:22:11 PMUse a pair of good binoculars. They are worth their weight in gold in the turkey woods!!!!!!!
:agreed: :icon_thumright:

Preacher

find some land to hunt that has a bunch of turkies on it,  then find someone that has hunted for a while that you can trust and befriend them ,  I learn a lot hunting with other folks.
Romans 8:37

Gobblerdn1

When you think you have given him long enough sit still another 30 minutes.

4nwtf

VAHUNTER

Quote from: FttFttVroom! on February 27, 2011, 10:22:19 AM
#1 piece of advice - PATIENCE!

When you set up on a turkey and he seems to be gobbling and getting closer, and suddenly shuts up or you lose your visual on him......wait a good 5 or 10 minutes longer before peeking around your tree or getting up to move on him.  He just might be standing right behind you coming in silent.
a pile of old gobblers has died because of a patient hunter.
Great advise  :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

StruttinGobbler3

As others have stated, patience and woodsmanship are key components of successfully and consistently bringing home a gobbler. Dedicate yourself to being the best caller you can be, but don't overdo it once out in the woods. Know what kind of pattern your gun shoots, and know its limitations. If not satisfied with what its doing, you can play with different choke/load combos until it suits you. Lot of good information on that subject in the turkey guns forum on this site. Last but not least, enjoy yourself. After all, thats why we all do this. The day hunting no longer brings me enjoyment and excitement will be the day I hang up my vest and shotgun. But I don't see that ever happening. ;D
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

R AJ

If you get into an area and he hang sup out of sight do not be afraid to go in there later and see what caused it. LEARN every trip. Learn their habit sin a particular spot.

Good Luck!

TRKYHTR

The most important part of killing a turkey is right before you pull the trigger. This is where most people screw up and either not get a shot or take bad shots. Be patient, be still, until the right moment and then make a good clean shot. You might have to fight an increased heart rate, uncontrollable shaking, increased breathing, sweating, and other emotions that are indescribable. If you can make it thru all that and still make a good clean shot you will become a turkey hunter. I didn't say good turkey hunter. There is alot more stuff to do to become a good turkey hunter. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

joey46

Use a shooting stick or some type of barrel support.  I've blown a lot of opportunities when I had to mount  the gun or make large last second movements.  When you know "he's on the way" have the gun up, supported, and take the first good in range shot.   I hunt with a guy that has this down pat.  He is always ready and it pays off.  His birds never know what hit them.

younggun

My advice would be find a seasoned turkey hunter and pick his brain. They will not be very forthcoming at first but if you are respectful eventually they will open up with strategies you had never dreamed of. If you have some birds but are having problems killing them ask them to go with you and watch how they move in  the turkey woods. I had a old man take me and my dad under his wing (we were deer hunters) and teach us the ropes. Best thing he ever taught me was when you want to get up wait 15 min. then after that 15 min. wait another 5. It is amazing how many birds I have killed in that last 5 mins.