News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#1 piece of advice for us newbies???

Started by marshboy, February 27, 2011, 10:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshboy

Hey fellas,
The thread on how many turkeys you've killed got me to thinking...what is the #1 piece of advice all you accomplished turkey hunters have for us newbies?
Unlike some of the turkey masters on here, I've only hunted turkeys for four years, and I've killed 5 birds (2 toms and 3 jakes).  My first two springs I didn't kill a bird.  That being stated, spring turkey hunting is incredibly addicting, and I think I like it more than either waterfowl or upland hunting, which are two areas I'm a little more experienced in.
I put in my time scouting, put in my time practicing with my calls, and consider myself a fair woodsman.  I'm more than willing to work at this to be succesful.  Any advice?
Greg

FttFttVroom!

#1 piece of advice - PATIENCE!

When you set up on a turkey and he seems to be gobbling and getting closer, and suddenly shuts up or you lose your visual on him......wait a good 5 or 10 minutes longer before peeking around your tree or getting up to move on him.  He just might be standing right behind you coming in silent.

knightrider

my kill ratio went way up when i learned to get in close and be sparing with the calling, i get up earlier than most and stay until i have tom in hand or its dark. when i say close i mean 50-75 yards of roost tree and watch it unfold when first light appears.call lightly and be patient and i hope you have a wonderfull spring :anim_25:

canadatom

Good point about patience. Happened to me last spring thought for sure he was gone, little did I know he was standing 10' behind me full strut staring at decoys, that is until he saw my big fat head peak around the tree at him.

Sherrell

Patience is what kills turkeys.....he has no deadlines and no watch.

dodger

Quote from: Sherrell on February 27, 2011, 10:28:20 AM
Patience is what kills turkeys.....he has no deadlines and no watch.

bingo.. and know the lay of the land

Shotgun

You cant ever have to many places to turkey hunt.  I spend all year lining up places to hunt for the upcoming spring.  When the birds aren't acting right in one area bounce to another.

PANYHunter

Like Shotgun said have different options and SCOUT!!!

schuylkillspur

Put as much time in as possible the longer your out there the more chance there is you will run into a bird in the right mood.

If you have killed 5 birds in four years just keep doing what your doing
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

Nimrodmar10

Know the area you're hunting. It's a whole lot easier to call a turkey if you're between where he is and where he wants to be. Turkey hunting is 75% woodsmanship and 25% calling.

guesswho

1. Pay attention to detail.  "Know whats going on around you at all times."

2. Don't push the issue.  You don't have to kill him in the next five minutes, let him walk off if thats the best option then move on him and try him again.

3. Have fun.  Don't take defeat to serious, it's all part of the game.  Be able to laugh at what just happened.

It sounds like you already have a good idea of whats going on.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TrackeySauresRex

:hello99:  :wagon: To me it sounds like you have a great start! Your in the right spot right here on OG. You will get some great tips here.  :anim_25: I beleive patience has helped me as I got older..
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

marshboy

Thanks for the replys. 
Good luck this spring everyone.
Greg

Flydown

Quote from: guesswho on February 27, 2011, 12:05:33 PM
1. Pay attention to detail.  "Know whats going on around you at all times."

2. Don't push the issue.  You don't have to kill him in the next five minutes, let him walk off if thats the best option then move on him and try him again.

3. Have fun.  Don't take defeat to serious, it's all part of the game.  Be able to laugh at what just happened.

It sounds like you already have a good idea of whats going on.

Yep all of that! Also, don't take any advice from Camoman. :begging: