turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2 3/4

Started by s clymo, April 24, 2012, 04:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s clymo

My dad is going to try turkey hunting this year he's got a rem 1100 bought a tight wad choke and some winchester #5 what would be a effective range iv never messed with 2 3/4 or a tight wad

s clymo

Yeah just prob won't have time to shoot it i guess he will just have to use mine till we can shoot it

mcgruff1533

See if you can talk your dad into trying some #6 shot.     A 2.75" shell will pack a maximum of 1-5/8 ounce of shot.     Why not maximize the number of available pellets and shoot #6's instead of #5's?

The difference is 225 pellets per ounce with 6's compared to about 170 pellets per ounce of #5's.   I'd rather have more, smaller pellets that hit rather than larger pellets that miss.

gtrjames

Winchester also makes some 2 3/4 extended range high density shells that are bad to the bone...they are also expensive.

s clymo

I shoot the extended range #6 3 1/2 and there awesome but ill see if i can find them in 2 3/4

mikejd

Never had a problem with 2 3/4 out to 40 with any gun I have used. I used them for years. Winchester HV and oh yea I shoot #4's.

chatterbox

Just picked up some Fed 2 3/4 #6 for my son to shoot out of my 12 ga as an alternative to shooting a 20 ga.
At 25 yards, we put 132 in a 10" circle. I wanted to try 30 yards, but the wind was blowing so hard, I felt it was gonna be a waste of time.
However, I do feel I have a legit 30 yard killer with this combo for him.